1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Fluid

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Injunfarian, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I was wondering if anyone on here uses any other fluid besides boss for their boss plow?

I am asking this since the closest boss distributer is about 50miles from me and if at all possible I would like to flush my system and use fluid that I can get locally.

Also one of the distributers I deal with stated that they do not carry the boss fluid since it has a tendancy to freeze at -30C.

Also if you do use other fluids which one would you recommend? I know I can get the Curtis brand fluid locally as for any others I will have to call around tommorrow during business hours.
  2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i use western fluid in mine
  3. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I use this: [​IMG]

It can be had for anywhere between $20 and $50 per gallon. It meets and exceeds BOSS requirements for hydraulic fluid. It is generally used for aircraft landing gear and has great cold temp operating characteristics. It hates water and sucks it out of your system, no more freeze up.

Here's the cheapest I've found it, not sure about the supplier but they might be good for it. A well respected local hydraulic shop uses this in all their new plows.
  4. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Thanks for the information.
    I called around to local places one stocks Fisher another stocks Curtis.
    As for the Aeroshell I tried a couple local dealers including the Shell Station at the Local airport and noone stocks it :(
  5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That is a bummer about the Aeroshell. I would suggest you look up and contact a local hydraulic service center. I buy mine through a local shop called Central Hydraulics. It is a small shop outside of town but their inventory is impressive. Sometimes the little guys will have what you need. I wouldn't turn your head from the internet as well. If you can find it online, it is worth a shot. This stuff is liquid gold.
  6. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

talked to a guy tonight who uses Auto transmission fluid in his plows....... anyone ever heard of such a thing? Western fluid here but I have western plows too.
  7. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I have heard about using tranny fluid but I dont want to try it nor do I know any real world experiences.
  8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Lots of guys use ATF with good results. Automatic transmissions are a hydraulic system and rely on a fluid with low compressibility. Keep in mind, ATF is a bit thinner than standard/utility hydraulic fluid. You'll notice right off it is not "sticky" like Hydraulic fluid. ATF is also a little better when the temps get low. If I wasn't running aeroshell I'd be running ATF in my boss. ATF is also a direct recommendation from the local hydraulic shop.
  9. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I would suggest you drain your plow and fill it with whatever is readily available to you at a reasonable cost. If it is BOSS fluid go for it, If it is Aeroshell, go for it, if it is ATF go for it. All of these fluids WILL work in your plow. If it is still under warranty, go with BOSS fluid of course and keep your receipt. If it is out of warranty, go with either fluid you please, just dont mix em.
  10. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Yeah, that is what I think I might do.
    I was going to stock up on boss fluid this sat when I goto a dealer but at the same time all dealers are 50miles away or further... So I think it would be in my best interest to find the best replacement fluid that is available locally so I can always have 2 quarts as spare.
    I will try some small hydro dealers though see if I can get lucky and get Aeroshell.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Used to, not anymore.

There was a former member who made some good points that at a certain temp the wax in ATF separates and causes problems.

Snofarmer and I had lots of fun. :D :drinkup:
  12. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I was at the Boss dealer to get some, they sold me western fluid, said the boss is too $$$
  13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

The "bad reality" about this is, Western, Boss, Blizzard, SnoWay, Curtis and probably everyone else's fluid is just re-badged/private label fluid. The same fluid you find on the shelves at fleet farm or tractor supply.

Most plow companies aren't lube manufacturers, and plow cylinders have a lot in common with AG implement cylinders. You could even go to you're favorite JD store and ask for their recommendation on a cold climate hydro fluid. Whatever they have is probably better than what came in the plow from the factory.

Also, about the wax issue, there shouldn't be any paraffin in synthetic ATF. There's a bit in standard ATFs and engine oils though.

Good luck with the search. Don't get too hung up on the Aeroshell, to some people it might be considered "overkill" and unnecessary.
  14. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I am a fan of overkill :)
  15. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Well right on! It's kind of cool to lean on the truck and say, "Hey man, I've got friggen landing gear fluid in my plow....what you runnin, frozen cherry sauce?"
  16. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Yup, thanks for letting me pick your brain I am going to try and source out Aeroshell from a few more places if not I think I might just go with something local either what a hydro shop sells or just some syn ATF... if I do go ATF route any recommendations?
  17. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

K, so this is on topic but a little off topic. Can I use hyro fluid from farm and home, it's the green fluid that I put in my john deere, and the fluid in my plow is green, can I use that?
  18. gjtj

gjtj Junior Member

The sticker above the fill neck on my Boss call for MIL-5606 hydraulic fluid and I'm assuming all boss plows use the same. There are a many companies that make the fluid (Shell, Mobil, generics, etc.) and it's a grade of hydraulic oil primarily used for aircraft.

Its viscosity of MIL-5606 doesn't increase as much as ATF at low temperatures like -30 to -40 so beware of ATF if you're plowing in those conditions. Although the fluid temp will warm after a few minutes of use - why take a chance. ATF looks and smells just like it but it is not the same at lower temps. I know because I tested it at lower temps at my company as a possible lower cost alternative to MIL-5606 in one of our products. MIL-5606 has a consistency of honey at -40 and ATF is even thicker. The above just deals with viscosity, I am not aware of other differences in properties there may be such as lubrication, detergents, etc.

Anyway, for those looking for the fluid, do a search for MIL-5606 or MIL-5606-H to see if a local commercial or industrial supplier/distributor stocks it.

On a personal note I topped off my reservoir with Western Fluid which was blue rather than red and have had no issues. You would probably be ok with using ATF in a bind but its probably not as good long-term as the manufacturer's recommended fluid.

I did find this related info doing a search on Western fluid here. Discusses the practical impacts of using ATF. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=4725

19. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Junior Member

20. jmrgnr

jmrgnr Junior Member

just googled MIL-5606 and interesting enough it is a fluid used in aircraft hydraulic systems.

"MIL-H-5606 was the principal hydraulic fluid used in naval aircraft before MIL-H-83282 was introduced.MIL-H-5606 consists of petroleum products with additive materials to improve viscosity (temperature characteristics), inhibit oxidation, and act as an antiwear agent. The temperature range of MIL-H-5606 is between –65°F to +275°F. It is dyed red so it can be distinguished from incompatible fluids."

I would stick with the recommended MIL-5606.