1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydro fluid freezing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FeelLikeANumber, Jan 21, 2008.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Im sure its a common problem especially during times like these when the weather is down in the single digits with an even colder wind chill factor. I had a little trouble last year with the fluid freezing so I bought a torch so i could heat it up roadside if needed and I also would throw my heater out in the garage overnight sometimes to keep it warm. Is there a certain hydrolic fluid that would be best in situations like this? Maybe one that doesnt freeze up/ or can handle colder temps? Or is it all just the same stuff in different bottles?

Background info I have a 6.5 ft. meyer plow, e47 pump, and I mainly use the generic hydrolic fluid found at T.S.C. in the blue bottle.

Thank you.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

We use 1 cap full of (heat) in all our pumps :salute:
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Meyer M1 fluid with deicing components.
    It's yellow.

We have used denatured alcohol. Just pour a small capful in, work the system, and presto, you're on the road again!
  5. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

That's the ticket right there. We use it in our (air) brake lines to keep them from freezing up in cold weather.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I run Arctic blue in my pump and have never had it freeze up.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No need for additives.
    I have never need any and it kind of gets a little chilly around hear.
    Just flush and refill your system anally with a hydraulic oil with at least an (AW) rating, the blue stuff or better yet boss, Meyer, sno-way fluid.
    And don't forget to clean the filter.

Taking a torch to your pump and power unit can burn your wiring
    melt the O-rings etc etc... not the best idea.

The simplest maintenance you can do..

It sounds like you do this every year.....:confused:
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The thoroughness of the flush procedure and how often you do it is more of a factor on freezing issues than the name brand on the bottle..

Like SF said...PM is the key, especially on the Meyer pumps.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Sno-way fluid is apparently good down to -50C so ive never really had any issues.
  10. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Agree with snofarmer on this one, we flush & fill every fall, no freezing.
  11. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Yeah its weird the first year plowing I never had any problems with freezing. Last year I had a couple problems but only like 2-3 different occasions, i just figured it happened to everybody when it got that cold. This year its only been a problem once, I did flush it in between last year and this year, and checked hoses some of the simpler maint. stuff. I was just kind of curious what might be a good fix or different fluid to make sure this isnt an ongoing problem. I think as soon as it warms up this weekend I'll flush it out and maybe try a different hydrolic fluid, see if I dont get a little different results. If that doesnt help then maybe I'll try adding something to it as previously suggested. Thanks for the help hopefully we've helped some other people out as well by discussing it.
  12. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Western Fluid is Good too!!...Never had a problem with it.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Throw away the torch and get the tools to service your pump. Then you won't need the torch or to heat the garage I hate heating the garage, then i have to run the fridge to keep the beer cold:drinkup:

If you're not going to service then you are better off having the tools to pull the pump off the truck and throw it under the heater on the passengers floor. If you pin it instead of bolts you could take it in the house instead of heating the garage.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not even an issue if you drink it fast enough..:jester:
  15. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Sounds painful
  16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

haha i have never even thought about doing that but i mean i guess u could just un plug pull the pins and off it comes. ill have to remember that if it ever get to the point where me and my carhartts freeze outside then i know its dam cold
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

SF likes to be thorough :D
  18. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

LMAO ...... I just noticed that - good catch, sk!!! :D

I may be needing a cap of that heat myself. It has warmed up some, but today it was -39°C (-53°C with the windchill). I finished plowing last night, but there may be a bit of snow coming tomorrow. The truck was frozen this morning (plugged in outside), but I tarped it during the day and it started when I got home from work. It is supposed to stay this cool for a couple or few more days so I just left the tarp on.
  19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

drain it all out change the strainers flush that water out then add some rubbing alcohol i never have a problem
  20. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

Check the rams for fluid getting past the seal. Fluid out means possible ice crystals getting in. Same thing happens with my snowmobile shocks, ice forms and gets past the seal and into the cylinder. Make sure you drain the rams thoroughly to get all of the old fluid out.