1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Fluid drain bolt on Snowdogg

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by TheHammer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

When to change the fluid today and noticed the drain bolt is touching the mount frame. Does this look correct you guys?:confused:

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

That doesn't look good. I would suggest pulling the tank and check in side. My plow will be 4 years old next month with little use and stored under cover during the off season. My plow quit working on the first driveway of the first storm this year. My equipment dealer pulled the tank, big chunk of ice plus the strainer was covered with a slime type of algae. It was a mess. If I didn't see it, I would not have believed it was that bad for what little use it has had. If I had just drained the oil, all the crap would still be in the tank and stuck to the strainer. I have a MD75 and pulling the tank is nasty due to the design.

3. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

My dealer told me this to make changing the fluid easier,
    1. unhook the hydro lines from the valve body
    2. remove mounting bolts from bottom of motor/tank
    3. remove whole assembly from plow and take apart on bench.

It takes me about 30 min to do a full service on the whole power unit.

4. gene gls

We didn't go that far. We just unbolted the motor/tank to move the aluminum cover so we could get to the screws that hold the tank on to the motor. Mine is nasty trying to get everything back together with the hoses going under the motor and trying to line up that long nut into the hole. I would expect yours to be the same unless they made a change after I bought mine. How old is yours? Did you have any slim/scum covering the sump screen? The whole design needs some help to make it more service friendly.

5. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

My md75 on my last truck had exactly what you described and that aluminum cover was a PITA, I have not serviced the new HD80 yet but my drain plug is in the same location as the OP's....however they did trim the aluminum cover on the new plows, you can now get to the bolts to remove the tank.

What I was thinking was taking a torch and cutting a notch out of the frame to access the drain plug, but I am not sure if it will hurt the integrity of the frame. Maybe smoorman will chime in with a suggestion.

6. gene gls

After seeing the picture, you would think that whomever assembled it at the factory would call the line supervisor over and say, hey we have a problem. Something went wrong some where. Wonder how many plows are like that? Kind of like my head light problem, it missed the quality control check station.