1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro Fluid Amount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 10elawncare, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I lost my manual and couldn't find much on their website so I will ask here. How much approx. would a 8ft T/E SprDty take? Also, is there some kind of drain on that tank or some way to get the old fluid out. I just lost a hydro pump on my eXmark mower so now I'm being overly cautious about changing hydro fluids. Dealer did it for free the last time so I'm kinda clueless here. Thanks for the help guys!

It's 18 outside...why isn't it snowing yet?!?!?! :drinkup:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Reservoir drain and refill only will take two quarts. A full system change will require three.

Reach up under the light tower and you'll feel the reservoir drain. Should have a square pipe plug in it.

3. 10elawncare

Thank you!! Dare I ask how you go about drain the entire system? Also, should I run it a bit before I drain it to get everything moving?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Better to allow it to set idle before doing a fluid change. If there's any contaminates in there you want them settled in the reservoir at drain time so you extract as much of it as possible. To drain the entire system simply remove the lift and angle hoses at the rams. The lift ram will drain on it's own but you have to work at removing it from the angle rams. If you lift the blade with a floor jack and manually angle it back and forth with the hoses removed you'll get 90% of it from the rams. To get it all you either need to remove and turn them over, or I used a vacuum pump to draw the last bit of remaining from out.

Don't over work the plow after the refill or it's tough to get the air out. Fill it, raise it slightly and then angle back and forth only two or three times, then lower it to the ground and check/refill the reservoir and do the procedure once again. Then fully raise and lower a few times and check the level once more. Should remain constant after that but check it one more time after a short period of operation.

Note: if you accidentally over fill it may expel a little fluid from the internal breather a time or two when dismounting. Don't panic, just allow it to find it's level and clean up the mess.

5. 10elawncare

B&B I thank you sir! Not the first time you helped me out, long while back when you helped me out with my dual battery in my Chevy and it's still goin strong! Actually had to help a buddy out jump starting his Fuso because their trucks wouldn't do it. Hooked mine up and a minute later it starts up like a champ!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I go through many posts but I believe I do recall that one. Good for you.

7. 10elawncare

Okay, so anyone who is looking to change the fluid on your Boss plow, don't bring it to the dealer! Easier than a car oil change, and the plow runs like new again.