1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulics shaking/vibrating...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by forrestgrant, Mar 19, 2013.

1. forrestgrant

forrestgrant Junior Member
    from MA

I have a Fisher Homesteader plow on my Ranger, I can get through about 30-40 minutes of plowing, then they Hydraulics start acting up, and the whole rig starts shaking, or vibrating pretty violently. All of the controls continue to work fine, but the shaking is there. I have to unplug the plow electronics, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in. 3 or 4 times of doing this, and it won't stop vibrating for a while. Though now knowing that, I just stop plowing the first time it happens, for fear of breaking something.

Can the hydraulics overheat... get overworked?

FYI, the plow was just gone over and has brand new hydraulic fluid.

2. LON

LON Senior Member

Only doing it in the up & down? Chattering could be coming from the pilot operated check for the scrape lock feature.

3. forrestgrant

from MA

It chatters when idle. Moving up/down/side to side all work fine, and it doesn't chatter while moving. But once it is stopped (no matter which position), it chatters.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

How old is the plow?

Could be overheating circuit boards, causing jumbled signals, maybe a bad controller?

Doesn't sound like a mechanical issue.

5. forrestgrant

from MA

It's about 6 years old. A little weathered, but seems a bit young for overheating circuits. Though it would explain why it only happens after some time, and is fine the next storm. Any advice on how to pin down that diagnosis?

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Does this plow utilize the 4 pin controller, with a receiving box (not sure on correct terminology ,for that part), on the pump for the plow?

The only way I can think to conclusively determine the problem is to try a new controller, (get the plow to have the symptom, then swap controllers and see if that fixes it), if it does, then it's the controller, if not, the next place is the computer on the headgear.

Maybe see if a dealer will let you rent a controller, and purchase it if it turns out to be your issue.