1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulics on skid steer moving plow too fast.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by gallden, Dec 2, 2011.

1. gallden

gallden Member

Hey guys I've just hooked a plow up to my skid steer and it moves the plow entirely too fast to the point where I'd be afraid to operate it. Is there anyway to slow the speed in which the plow moves? I think the lines that are on the plow now are 1/2" is it as simple as going down to a 1/4"? Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I think it would help if you put what kind of Skid you have any options....what kind of plow etc

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

if you hooked up a truck plow and retrofitted it to be on a skid, then you'll need a restrictor block to slow the fluid flow down.

4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

get inline flow restrictors. they have dial adjustable ones which i purchased, but if i did it over again, i would just get pre-set restrictors.

5. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

An orifice should do the trick and they are fairly cheap. Just a few dollars. Swing by a dealer that sells the make of skid steer you have and let them know what you are doing. They might even have them right on the shelf.

141947d1254927812t-hydraulic-restrictor-orifice-restrictorphoto-1.jpg

141948d1254927812t-hydraulic-restrictor-orifice-restrictorphoto-2.jpg

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i use the adjustable ones myself.....work well on a 1 " cyl with 2500 lbs of pressure!

7. gallden

gallden Member

Great thanks guys got a regulator, this should do it. Appreciate the help.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

This is what I have too.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd buy the or orfice and just drill it out until you get the desired speed. You should also look into a cross over relief valve or your most likely going to blow hoses.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

We just set our blade up with the inline regulators as well... Everything was moving mach 12 at an idle LOL... We ran it full throttle while we dialed everything in

11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

...............and bend/break steel...............Thumbs Up

I've used the same simple orrifice reducers and have found, in my cases, a 1/16" hole is about right...........