1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulics License

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by GeeMC, Mar 13, 2003.

1. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Hi Everyone :waving:

I was wondering if you need your hydraulics license to operate a back hoe or a bob cat? Some one told me that if you own the equipment, you don’t need the license, but if you are just an operator, you need to be qualified with one. Is this pretty much the standard around the country or is this just a Massachusetts thing?

We are looking into the future here a little but, Jason (son) has some contacts for snow removal on a couple of commercial lots as well as some excavation work on the off season.

Thanks for the input,

Bruce

Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I forgot to say on my pm to you,I know of an owner operator and he had his hydraulics,Maybe on privet land you can get away with it but on someone elses property i don't think you can ,look at the guy who blew up that house awhile back from the gas pipe going thru the yard.You can be sure that he had to be looked at if he had or didn't have it .Does not take long to get you pay the state there dough and your done.

3. Temco

Temco Member

In Mass. its called a Hoisting License. The test is pretty easy and only costs $65. Small price to pay considering the fine is $1000 for the operator and $3000 for company owner for 1st offence. All operators of equipment that falls under the guidelines needs this license no matter where their working, only exception is if foreman on job has license and is supervising the operator. If unsure whether you need one, the law defines the equipment as anything that can reach 10ft. in the air OR can lift at least 500lbs. OR has a bucket capacity of 1/4 cy. or more. If you need any info. on where/how to get one, please let me know.

4. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Temco

You say the test is fairly easy..... I just filled out the application last week and I need to get a medical card...

I am a bit concerned about the test. All I can find is a copy of the regulation that goes into some depth about safe operation and hand signals. However a friend of mine said he had questions reguarding the angle of repose of a grave pile, sand, and other materials.... That does not show up in the regulation nor does it sound that easy.

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

6. JD PLOWER

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hey Digger, you catching this? After all these years of operating, the State of Mass. says we don't know what we're doing!:rolleyes: Bureaucracy stinks!:realmad:

8. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Whaaaa?

All I can say is i'm glad I live in Missouri. We do not need to get a license to push snow, we do not need to get a license to run a back hoe, we do not have any problem with our plows being over 8 feet, we do not have to pay sales tax on anything other than product ( not for any service oriented ) Do not have to wear a seat belt while driving a truck up to 1 ton. No body cares about us running any kind of strobe system as long as we do not look like a Fire/Police/Ambulance.

Damn, we got it easy! :D

9. Temco

Temco Member

I took the test a couple of years ago thru The Peterson School here in Woburn, they set everything up so I didn't have to fill out anything. All the test questions are short answer with a section on hand signals.......its pretty easy as that part is matching the picture to the proper hand signal. If your local or want to make a trip to Woburn, I still got copies of the "test prep" questions. Read it thru a few times and you'll be all set :drinkup:

P.S. the test has nothing to do with knowing how to operate heavy equipment, its all safety related stuff.

10. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Thanks for the info guys!

Temco, it figures that the test has nothing to do with operating the equipment! I assume that if they figure you can pass the safety regs, you can operate it effectively. How naive! Getting copies of the prep would be great! Later on in the year is when we are looking to do this, so I 'll get in touch with you then, if it is OK.

Thanks,

Bruce

Ps...Maybe we should move to Missouri! :drinkup: :drinkup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  11. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

We would need a license to take a leak if politicians had there way:D ,it's all aboutpayup

12. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

The thing about the medical card is that it is the same requirements as a DOT physical exam . What exactly do they need all this info for? As far as I'm concerned the guy doing the physical labor in the trench should have to pass a physical , not the guy who is sitting down moving only hi fingers! Has anyone out there been fined for not having this license, (as owner or operator?). What about Rhode Island? Are the fines the same and can anyon tell me how hard these states are lookig for this license. My job is requiring me to get both the Mass. & the R.I. one however I do not need one for my home state of Connecticut yet , wonder how long for Ct. to require one.

Steve

13. Temco

Temco Member

GeeMC, no problem on the handouts, I got them buried here somewhere!!! I'll need time to dig them out anyway.

As far as getting fined for not having the license, I don't know anyone that has.Its one of those catch22 things. I know people who have been in contracting their whole lives and operate backhoes, excavators and such and have never even been asked to produce one. But if someone gets seriously injured or killed on your worksite....its the first thing an inspector will ask you for.

As I understand it, the state only has 9 inspectors so one showing up for a spot check isn't very likely but you never know. They generally only come out for a serious accident involving injury or death or major property damage like ripping up a gas line or slicing thru a fiber optic cable......$$$$$$$ :eek:

14. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Some one told me that if you own the equipment, you don’t need the license. Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks,

Bruce

15. Temco

Temco Member

Just wanted to add a footnote.....as a police officer, i've worked a lot of road construction details and have never had a contractor or city crew make it thru an accident free day. Most common involves ripping up old water lines. In 15 years, i've yet to see an inspector come out to investigate.

16. Temco

Temco Member

Thats true, an owner doesn't need a license only the operator or the foreman on the job supervising the operator.

17. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

OK, But that leads me to another question. Can the owner, who does not have a license, able to legally operate the equipment? I know I need to read the mass regs that JD plower posted. I just haven't had time yet.

Thanks again Temco,

Bruce

18. Temco

Temco Member

Only if he's being supervised by someone who does!

19. JD PLOWER

xlr8 the number one reason for the physical is for drug testing. The guy operating the heavy equipment is probably capable of doing more damage than the guy with the shovel in the trench.

20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Just slightly off topic(i hope not to far!)but reading that Temco is a copper and all:D ,reminds me when i go out to the Cape in the summer,we take the Mass Turnpike and construction is usually pretty heavy,anyways i was impressed to see a State Trooper at EACH job site,some crews were ditching,some were paving but each group had a car with his lights flashing,leads me to believe thats one of the safer areas to work in!