1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulics failure question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by truknoslen, Dec 19, 2008.

1. truknoslen

truknoslen Junior Member

We'll its snowing like a mother here in Conn. I have a Gravely tractor with 48" bucket/ kwik way loader which was working great moving snow until I banged the curb. The
    loader hydraulics still work but the bucket doesn't go up or down
    under power. Not sure if I broke the seal on the front cylinder(s) or
    if its the valve. Tractor still works great. Expecting 12" today &
    another 6+ on Sunday. Any help would be great. Need to know if I need
    to visit tractor store tomorrow!

Kurt

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

you said the bucket does not go up and down under power so does the bucket move manualy? Also when you move the valve do the hydraulics strain.

3. truknoslen

truknoslen Junior Member

on float it moves both ways. In "gear" I can't move it.

4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

If the rams do not move when in gear (creep down) then I would think that the seals would be ok. If it moves up and down in float, you have not bound anything up most likely. I am not familiar with your tractor, all of my exp. is marine. I would think it would most likely be in the valve or posibly a linkage came loose when you hit the curb. So does the action on the valve feel differant than it did? Can you put your hand on the valve with it open and feel fluid running through the line to the ram? I am guessing that you have constant flow hydros. with a reversable valve? If you move the valve and the hydros. do not strain and you have fluid pressure to the valve it would seem that that would be the first place to start.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. truknoslen

truknoslen Junior Member

update

Here's the latest. First we got 10" of snow since 1:30 this afternoon!
    I unhitched the bucket. The ram fell out. So Obviously that's the problem. I don't have a IPL of the cylinder but it didn't look broken. The end threads into something but the rod is still good. With some help my my son I did a front end loader switch with a plow. Back in business for now.

Can I fix the cylinder or just get a new one?

Kurt

6. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Gravely

Yahoo groups has a Gravely group maybe can help you. Chances are the rod threads into a piston inside the cylinder. Should be some way to "open" the cylinder.Can you post some pics?
    Keith

7. truknoslen

truknoslen Junior Member

I'm on that gravely site also! But thanks anyhow.