1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulics and storage??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Roundhammer, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

Hey Everyone!

So My 5 tonne dumper is gonna be in outdoor storage over the winter.

Should I store it with the box down?..Or up?...Remove the battery?

First season with it, so I'm still learning :)

Thanks!

RH

2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't own a dump body, but what I do have is a Swaploader hooklift. When I got it, I asked about leaving the hook over ready to back up and grab a body because my mowers are on a flatbed that I keep in the garage. So I was trying to figure out if I could just leave it over so that it was ready to go the next morning instead of cycling the hoist back over after dropping body at night only to cycle it back over the following morning to load up. My dealer said they recommend the hoist not be left over because that would leave the hydraulic rams exposed and susceptible to rust. I would assume the same would be true with your hydraulics as well, however, you then have a dump body that would be susceptible to filling with rain/snow and rusting out the dump bed. Now having said that, I see dump trucks parked at dealers all the time with the dump bodies raised, but don't know if that is because they don't want them filling with water or if it is marketing, "hey look, I got a dump bed. Come by me." I guess if you could park the truck so that it was parked on an incline nose high, then you would have the best of both worlds. Bed would drain properly and hydraulics would stay protected. JMO.

3. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

Thanks dude!

I contacted the Purveyor of my fine trailer. Their advice is...

I should get it oil sprayed/ undercoated and leave it in the down position.

Now I, we know!

Cheers!

RH

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Glad I could help.