1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulics Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Stymie, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

I changed the hydraulic fluid and remounted my blade. Now, when I move the joystick up it doesn't do anything. I moved the joystick to the right and it moved the blade to the right and now it's stuck in that direction. When I move the stick to the left it raises the blade but doesn't turn the plow to the left. Moving it down works as it should. Also, when I raise the blade it very slowly lowers back to the ground even with the joystick centered. Any thoughts?
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

1st you got air into the system. 2nd whos plow brand?
  3. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

The blade's a Western. However, I have no idea what the pump is. How do I get rid of the air? I have some pics in the 'Refilling Hydraulic Pump' thread. It won't let me repost them here.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What kind of Western? The cable operated pump or electronic joy stick.
    Electronic controls you may need to clean up the plug / connections where it connects to the pump. Put dielectric grease on all connections to keep them clear of crude and moisture. You can down load manuals from the plow manufacturer's web site that have trouble shooting guides. Millsupply.com should still have them also. The joy stick could also be having internal issues.
  5. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Try switching the hoses around, if I understand your

problem, that may do the trick.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure the collar on the quick connect comes all the way back when you connect the hoses.I spray mine with WD40 to help them shed the mositure and function fully. I have had my plow angle one way and not come back because the male end was not fully seated when I connected a hose. When you drain and refill just cycle it through the functions it should self bleed. Afterward, check the fluid level and refill if needed.