1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic vs electric for actuators ??

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by shtuk, Aug 20, 2009.

1. shtuk

shtuk Member

Any mechanical wizzards out there? I'm building adjustable 16" wings for my 60" plow and a 3 point hitch for snowblower (which may also be hydraulicly powered). I will need to add a gas powered DC generator or hydraulic pump to my machine. Which give the most back for the buck. I have a 16hp gas motor to use. I'll get some pictures soon.

2. SQuad

SQuad Member

You know that's what I wanted to do on mine! Talked to some hydraulic guys and they say there is a tremendous loss of power via hydraulics to power a snow blower. They would recommend a 26 Hp. engine to drive a 48" blower. As for powering you V blade with electrohydraulics there is a huge power draw on your battery and stator. There is a fellow I talked to who removed his pull start assembly installed a jack shaft and powered a small hydraulic pump. He did recommend a 4.5 GPM pump for the system.