1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Valve & Coil

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bigboss1977, Jan 6, 2012.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

So I was just looking at all my owners manuals paper work on my Boss straight blade plow. I was looking at a picture with the Hydraulic valves and coil parts. It looks like the Hydraulic Valve just screws in and out......Is that right? Then the coil sets on top of the valve secured by a nut.....Is this right? Was just kind of curious. First time Boss owner and just trying to get a good idea for how it works so I can repair it when and if it ever breaks down.

Also is there just one valve for lift/lowering operation of the blade?

And I'm guessing there is one each for the right and left angel positions?

Sorry for all the questions....Just trying to get my ***** straight....lol

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, spin the coil nut off, slide the coil off the valve stem and screw the valve from the manifold, Reverse procedure for re-assembly being careful not to over tighten the valve or the coil nut as it doesn't take much effort to distort the stem thus causing the valve to stick. Since no one carries a torque wench just snug is plenty.

There's one valve/coil each for the raise and lower function, then an angle valve with two stacked coils, and then the SmartHitch valve/coil if equipped. The raise/lower coils and valves are the same and can be interchanged and both coils on the angle valve are the same so spare inventory can be minimal. In fact they almost never lose a raise/lower valve and the lower coil is mostly the only one you'll ever need to replace. They will eat an angle valve occasionally but otherwise that is it.

3. bigboss1977

from Utah

So if I buy one valve/coil for raise and lower and one for the angle right or left id be ok....just want to have some just in case.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct on the valves but you only need one spare coil as the raise, lower and angle coils interchange.

5. bigboss1977

from Utah

Great, thanks I appreciate the help.