1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic to gas conversion??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CAG80, Dec 6, 2006.

1. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

just picked up for free today a henderson chief ss sander.. it was my brother in laws fathers and i saw it sitting their all summer because are shops are close together.. well i go over their to shoot the ***** and then ask him if he wants to get rid of it and how much.. he then tells me just to take it i was like holy crap really.. well now I'm excited thinking today must be my lucky day i start walking over to it and the thing is mint( still not knowing it ss because it was painted, i guess the older models are like that). then is see some paint missing inside the hopper with no rust and i realized that it was ss, then i say to myself this is my lucky day and a couple seconds later when I'm walking around to the back i was like damn it hydraulic driven..BOOOO...lol.. so my questions is how and should i convert it to a gas motor.. is that sander the same as a gas henderson or will their be a lot of things to change??? i was thinking today about putting central hydraulics on the truck till i did a search and realized the cost!! does anyone know of a cheaper way to rig this on my truck?? the truck i think i it will most likely be put on is my 05 drw f350..
  2. Rickco

Rickco Member

Go Hydro. You wont be sorry!
  3. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

i just had a thought as its about 1:30 am!! would it be possible to use the electric hydraulic pump from the dump hoist.. it would be pretty sweet if i could just make some quick disconnects to switch from the sander to the dump body and use the same switch that is already in the truck.. probably a long shot but i thought i would throw it out their..
  4. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

dry box conversion

Keep the hydraulics, you could even use a PTO powered pump. You will only be spreading while the transmisson is turning anyway.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

install a pony motor with a hydro pump and resivior. Then run electro valve controls to operate spreader functions.
    It is basically how curtic operates their spreaders.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure you could do something with an electric motor. We have 4 electric downeaster SS spreaders, and no troubles. Gas can be a pain, central hydro is great if you've got the truck for it, electric is likely your cheapest choice to be up and running right away with the least cost. Don't get rid of the hydro stuff you might get a new/another truck that has the central set up someday.
  7. LON

LON Senior Member

EXCELLENT GRAB! What you got is a 409SS Henderson. It was painted because the 409SS units were welded together with mild steel wire. You can stick a magnet to this unit but still have the anti-rusting properties of SS. I take it it is a single hydraulic motor. If it were me I'd add the clutch pump style hydraulic system to the truck, a second hydraulic motor to the spreader (spinner function) and never look back. If expense is driving your thoughts then you can convert it over to Briggs & Stratton engine drive easy enough. Done many myself at my shop. The only thing that will be needed to know is what the serial number of the unit is. Serial number break determines which electric clutch it gets, 61228 or 78481 kit. Been a Henderson dealer since 1983.
    Forget the electric dump pump idea as it can't be done. It is designed for short cycle times.