1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic System Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Clevername, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Okay Gentlemen - Question....

When I bought t my unimount this summer it had one "good" hose" and one "bad" hose. So I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before I blew a line.

Well tonight I hit a pile slightly angled and felt the S.O.B blow. Sure enough - when I tried to angle the plow back I could tell right away I was down for the count....

Anyways - I was lucky enough to have an extra hose already. So I quickly swapped out the blown one. (Only took me like 15 minutes which if any of you knew me you would be giving me a standing ovation right now)...:D

Anyways - I had to look up to see how to bleed the system to get it angling again. I saw right away during a quick search that all that is required is to actuate the controller a few times and the system will "Self Bleed". So I did this and sure enough it started moving.

So once it started operating "normally" I went ahead and opened up the plug to add more fluid. When I started to unscrew the plug I could hear the pressure bleeding from the housing. I added some fluid to this system a month ago when I was having "motor" issues. I do not remember hearing the pressure like that.....

So Hear is my question (s).....

In the future - would I be best advised to "crack" the plug before-hand when self bleeding or does it not matter? I just don't want to be "over pressurizing" the system for lack of a better term if that's even possible and break somethign else.

I guess another question also is - I have heard you NEVER hit a pile while angled. Obviously I am new to this plowing thing so I am going to ask - IS THIS TRUE. Was hitting the pile while angled "the straw" that blew my hose.....?

Thanks Gents!
  2. dealswithidiots

dealswithidiots Junior Member

the pressure escaping when you open the reservoir is normal the hydraulic system has a bleeder on it to keep it from over pressurizing so you don't have to worry about that. you want to always keep the fill plug tight when operating the plow or it could spray oil all over your plow and truck and make a mess that is a pain to clean off.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a good idea to remove the breather first. It's easier to hold on to when bleeding the pressure. And if there is fluid near the fill plug you might get a shower if you open it first.

As for stacking with the plow angled vs straight, I don't think that's what caused the hose to blow. It was just time.