1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KSB, Mar 13, 2008.

1. KSB

KSB Member

Is there any advantage to having a hydraulic v-box spreader compared to the normal models that use sprockets and chains.Which is more prone to freeze up in adverse weather conditions. Please help.

2. timlb703

timlb703 Junior Member

Hydraulic is the way to go. Any spreader will lock up if material is damp and it is cold out. You will never wonder if it will start when you need to use it. I would never go back to gas v box!!

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

if i could afford to set up all four of my trucks with cental hydraulics and have a hydraulic spreader on the back, i would. presently, i have one set up with a fischer spreader and 3 gas power v boxes. even with constant maintenance on them, the gas spreaders continue to break down. the only thing that saves me is that the three gas spreaders are stored indoors. other than replacing bearings on the spinner shafts, a few smaller chains and one large conveyer chain in 7 years, it has been perfect.

4. KSB

KSB Member

I don/t believe you need to have central hydraulics in order to run a hydraulic v-Box. These machines have a seperate gas engine to drive the hydraulic pumps I thought. Will these freeze as easy as the regular v-box spreaders. The ads for like curtis say no chains sprokets etc. Any more comments or help.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

are you talking about an auger box?

everyone of them will freeze there is no if and's or butt's about it. that is if the material is wet.

what is youre aplication for the proposed spreader? maybe we could better assist you if we knew that.

what truck?

what material (salt, or salt-sand or sand)

does the truck have a dump on it?

why are you so interested in hydraulic?

it is not the chain that stalls when froze! it is the frozen salt "bridge affect" that is what is a PITA