1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Spreader Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Gardens, Mar 8, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

For the people who use a hydraulic under tailgate spreader.

Do you have a direct drive pump or gear reduction pump.

I'm thinking about putting a gear reduction drive on my truck as when I use the spreader, the auger setting is only at a 1 or 2 (out of 10).

Sometimes the 1 is tedious to spread, and on 2 it can be too much sometimes.

I'm thinking that with a gear reduction I can have a bit more control over my spread and a little more torque to break chunks in cold temps.

If you have a gear reduction, do you like it, and what kind of pump/gearbox is it?

Thanks.

Nick

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Tranny driven system and engine clutch pump system...

3. I would check to make sure the hose size and pump are compatible with your spreader. Sometimes an incorrectly set up truck will cause problems. Also if this is the only hydraulic spreader you have used, it is not like a little electric tailgate salt usage goes way up.

4. White Gardens

Sorry, realized that I typed pump instead of motor.:whistling:

I've got a belt driven pump off the motor.

Basically I'm looking at a gear reduction gear box and hydraulic motor for the auger. and didn't know if anyone used one and if they liked it or not.

Ultimately I'm trying to get more torque on the auger and better salt output control.

GRMOTOR.jpg

GRMOTOR.jpg

5. you will have to do a little math and research a make sure your under the hood pump, lines, motors, are all getting proper flow. example if your return line is not big enough it will still work just not to the fullest. If all that is right than yes that gear reduction motor is supposed to give you more control. Every thing has to work together to get the best results.

6. White Gardens

Good points, very good points.

To back that thought up; The one thing I notice now is that if my spinner is on full, the more likely the the auger is to jam up with half-way reasonable salt. (no solid salt licks or ice chunks). But, if I turn down the spinner a couple two or three clicks, then the auger will get moving.

That makes me wonder if the flow might be a little low from the pump. I actually called Flink late this afternoon and left a message to the engineer to give me a call and see what he says about the idea of a gear reduction. The photo that I supplied actually came from the Flink web-site.

I'm also worried that if I put a gear reduction on, that I will need to increase the flow to that pump to get the exact speed I need. That will be some math I'll have to work out.

Last fall I called the original truck builder (Koenig) to see if they had pumps in stock, and they stated that there is a high and medium flow pump that would work with the truck, but I need to pull the pump to look at the numbers. Regardless, I need to pull the pump anyway and replace it as it's 10 years old, and use the current one for a spare.

Ultimately, I've got some math to do and to also look into a load control valve also for the spreader to minimize rpm/flow drop when getting off the throttle.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  7. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

nick, just so you know. I have same problem as you. Also had the truck built the same year as yours from the same place. I've just dealt with it, but know it is not the most efficient. Let me know if you figure anything out.

8. White Gardens

Ha, Ha! Thanks for chiming in Stephen! Thumbs Up.

It seems like these systems are meant to handle a normal year, and this year was anything but.

Normally most of our snow falls are followed by above freezing temps, but I think we went more than 7 weeks at one time without above freezing temps. Even the best protected and treated salt piles froze up on everyone. Only thing you could do was to store it in heated shops.

9. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I hav a belt driven clutch pump on my f-350, for snowstorms i use number 2 on the auger, but when we hav ice or cold temperature i use 3 , and 5 on the spinner i like keeping tight spread patterns. I also use tranny fluid for the whole central system

10. sounds like you have got some good ideas to start. Don't worry one of my trucks has the same problems but for the cost to do it right we just keep running it as is.

11. White Gardens

What's the problem with your system? To do a few upgrades shouldn't be too expensive.

12. to start it is a salt dogg not a frink or swenson. Swenson has a better spread pattern better built as well. the dogg is all left . I have yet to check the whole system but i know my return lines are to small and i don't have power down as well. With a little time and money i could get it better but screw it works good enough i say. hydro lines are expensive

13. LON

LON Senior Member

I've seen this problem in many trucks this past winter. Found it to be an improperly sized spreader control valve in every situation. What are the numbers of the spreader control valve?

14. White Gardens

1-11 I do believe is on the spreader control, for each knob.

It looks to be a common spreader control between each manufacture/supplier I've looked at.

The size of it could be a possibility, as the truck company that built it might have used the same controller on all the trucks they built.

15. LON

LON Senior Member

Looking for the part number stamped or etched into the side. On a Danfoss it starts 2FFL, Gresen/Parker starts QD

16. White Gardens

I'll check into it and let you know. That would be interesting if that is the problem.

17. LON

LON Senior Member

I bet it is a 10 & 30 valve instead of a 7 & 15 like it should be but the numbers will tell the tale.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to agree with this assumption. I'd start by checking what valves are in your controller. Also your never going to have enough flow to keep your spinner wide open and your chain turned up very high. Even with our front pump it seems we could have more flow at times.

19. LON

LON Senior Member

Did you guys ever take a look at the numbers on the valve? I still curious as to what they are.

Lon

20. White Gardens

No I didn't, I'll have to look tonight and post what I find. Tis the season to be prepared!Thumbs Up