1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Quick Connects

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Gardens, Nov 30, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My salt spreader runs off of the central hydraulic system in the truck.

I have Pioneer quick couplers on the hoses and back of the truck. Last year the salt rust corroded them shut and the spreader was a pain to get off the truck. Then this year I didn't soak the ends in a bucket of oil, so it took me a good afternoon to clean the female ends, just to get the locking rings free.

My question is, is there anything I can do to protect the female ends to make them easier to get on and off, or is there another style of coupler (such as a flat faced coupler) that will work better.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We have the same issue on all of our trucks.
    We've tried the ball type, the pin type, anti-sieze, wrapping them.....
    The bottom line is to lube them every chance you get.
    When we dump and rinse our trucks, disconnecting every coupler and lubing them is part of the process and we still end up with some troubel ones.
    We also found that a spray lubricant helps too...fluid flim, etc.

3. White Gardens

Ya, I'm kinda figuring that's going to be the case.

If I get a good day, I'm wanting to attach an old mud-flap to the salt spreader to keep the salt off the couplers and the back of the truck. I'm guessing that's the only real way of making a difference. That and I might try some grease on them too.

I grew up on a farm, and most of the couplers at the hydraulic remotes always leaked a little oil, so keeping them operable wasn't an issue. Luckily, or Unluckily, my remotes on my truck don't leak at all.

4. SServices

SServices Senior Member

We use stainless on all of our trucks. They are pricey, but no headache's.

5. White Gardens

Stainless couplers?

6. SServices

SServices Senior Member

Yep. I'll get a pic tomorrow and get the manufacturer, don't remember off the top of my head.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We gave up on couplers and just hook them up direct and have steel caps to put on the lines when not it use.

8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yeah couplers suck. We actually tape a bag with oil on them for storage. They rust up on you no matter what we do. Would be nice to hear a good solution.

9. White Gardens

I don't know if I necessarily like that idea or not. I want to be able to pull my trough/auger off if I need to haul a load of rock or not. I can close the back shield and dump over it, but I don't want to damage it.

Found these and looked aroun on-line and they seem pretty darn expensive for a pair, I would end up spending close to a grand just to switch them out.

http://www.safewayhyd.com/s10.htm

I honestly think I just need to protect them as much as possible to keep the salt of them.

10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have the stainless couplers above and have same issues, but FF and grease are your friend!

11. ToolCatCruzer

ToolCatCruzer Junior Member
    from Chicago

i just put a set of stainless flush fit fittings on one of our trucks this year.. even got small ones for the plow. they were expensive but hopefully this is the last set i ever buy !

12. White Gardens

Are those the flat faced coupler? Let me know how they work. I have them on my mini skid and like how they work.

I noticed on the standard couplers that are on there now that the balls in the locking coupler were froze up. I was wondering if the flat-faced ones would solve that problem or create a new set of issues.

13. SServices

SServices Senior Member

These are what we have on our trucks. They are the originals off of my 03 International.

IMG00132.jpg

IMG00134.jpg

IMG00133.jpg

IMG00135.jpg

14. zman9119

zman9119 Member

15. White Gardens

Thanks for the posts SServices, and zman.

The problem with those style of couplers, regardless of how well they are made, is that moisture, dirt and salts can work around the locking collars and create salt rust around the balls that lock in the male end of the couplers. That and it contributes to the collars not moving freely.

ToolCatCruiser mentioned the flush/flat faced coupler. I'm hoping they work out for him, but I'm wondering if the same thing will happen around the collar on the female end.

I'm hoping to hear his results next spring as those are pricey too, but if they work then I'm game for a set.

16. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

I'm no expert, but have been told the flat faced ones are called "poppet" valves rather than just ball style. I believe they will still have the same issue, but they have greater spring pressure and have less tendency to leak. I do not know from experience, just told that by our local truck body shop.

17. ToolCatCruzer

ToolCatCruzer Junior Member
    from Chicago

white gardens ill let you know how they work out. the problem with my setup is the fittings are only 18" off the ground right behind the rear tire...so they always get covered in crap. and they do have way more presure to push them on.but man i hope they work and i dont have to fight with rusty fittings ..

18. White Gardens

If you are going to test them then your set-up being 18 inches off the ground is going to truly test them.

My rear remotes are right off the back of the truck and until I get a deflector flap installed, salt will get to them pretty easily, so I'm in a similar situation.

Thanks for the testing, let us know how it goes!