1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Pump

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KentuckyPlow, Sep 23, 2003.

1. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

I have a under tailgate spreader for a 2 ton dump truck. The truck has an Allison automatic transmission. It does not have central hydraulics. Does anyone know someone who makes a pump that runs off a small gas powered engine like an 8hp or something like that. Or does anyone have any ideas on building one?

All input appreciated.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

the allison transmission should be able to take a PTO with a pump behind it>>> just another way to go...

3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

You might use a pto driven tractor unit.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Are you opposed to a belt driven pump under the hood?

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Hydraulic Power Unit

Kentucky plow try Brave industries.
    They have a nice little unit that may work for you, plus you could use it to run a log splitter or any other small hydraulic device.
    www.braveindustries.com
    :rolleyes: John.....

6. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Does anyone know what kind of flow I need for a under tailgate spreader with dual control( seperate auger motor and spinner motor.)?

Thanks

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Man, I knew I should have patented that idea years ago!!

A nice little power unit, with a hydro tank, packaged like a generator, that could be mounted on various trucks in a fleet.

I could be rich right now.... payup

~Chuck

8. James_Jimmy

James_Jimmy Junior Member

A guy by the name of John Geer (who apparently is no longer a member here) had a setup like this to run his front and rear plows. He had a 13hp Honda gas engine and a 6gpm 2100psi pump packed nicely in a (ventilated) DeeZee diamond plate toolbox that sat on the back of his truck. You can see a few pictures in this thread (a ways down the page).