1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 82 shortbox, Aug 2, 2003.

1. 82 shortbox

82 shortbox Junior Member

Just got my project- play truck on the road, realized that I must of had why too much free time on my hands. Actually it has been a good bonding project for me and my 5 year old son. Converted a 82 Dodge short box two wheel drive into a four wheel drive, a lot of work but came out good. Question I have is that I just bought a 7.5 Western pro plow that is in good shape, needs a little welding on the frame mount etc, but it came with a pump that runs off a drive belt. I do have an extra pulley grove on the motor pulley that is not being used, but don't know if I should use this set up or go to a pump that mounts on the plow frame. Not going to plow contracts or any thing just my drive and an occasional neighbors. Any ideas on where to find a good used western pump and what would be a good price? thanks Gordie
  2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Gordie: That pump you have is one of the most reliable plow systems available. I would use it if I were you. They are very powerful too. If you have all the parts to make it work....Go for it.You can look on ebay for another pump but plan on spending 300 plus I would think for one. Keep us posted. Got any pics of your truck??
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

There are some upsides and downsides about the belt driven pump. The upsides are that they are more powerful and reliable. They do not draw electrical system power, eliminating the need for auxiliary battery. Another plus is that the pump is inside the engine compartment instead of outside the truck, so with the heat coming from engine, it helps keep the pump warm.

The only downsides about them is that you may have to remove the belt in spring and then reinstall it in the fall to save wear and tear on pump. You should carry a spare belt in case it break. Another note is that with newer vehicles out there, its very difficult to put belt drive pump on them. That is one of reason why plow manufacturers are using electric pump. I do like electric because it is part of the plow assembly so it comes off the truck when I am not plowing.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Use the underhood belt driven pump.Simple and reliable.A good used electric hydraulic unit is going to cost you some $$$.
  5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

82......My bud swapped his belt driven fisher from a 78
    Ford 250 to a 97 2500 GMC.
    One of his buds fabbed a frame mount for him. The
    fisher dealer had (made?) a bracket that hooked
    onto the power steering pump frame. He also had
    a double pulley that he put on the ps pump to run
    the plow pump.

Works ok but it cost him $$$. But he sez: still
    cheaper than a new plow!...............geo

BTW: welcome to plow site ! Best place around
    for any problems, advise, or questions!
  6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

82 Welcome to plowsite:waving:

I plow with an 82 Dodge long box. Very good trucks in my opinion. I just brought home an 83 1 ton 4x4 today.

Got any pics of your shortbox??

Inquiring minds want to know,
    Mark K
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

82, Welcome, The dodge you are running has lots of room to mount the pump. Pict of the one you have if possible and I may have the motor bracket you need. Motor size in yours ??318. The under hood from western had some advantages over the fishers. They had a seperate resivor to allow you to just swap out the pump and most were installed with a filter from the get go which helped increase pump life.

Stephen is right you need to pull the belt in the summer to help extent life too. The extra pulley on your motor is the right place to hook the pump up. You do want to check the Dia of the motor pulley and try to keep the pump pulley the same dia or no more than 25% smaller to keep the speed down on it. You can also run off the alt if you have a double pulley or get a double alt pulley.

Hope this helps Jerre