1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic pump question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dangerousdarren, Jan 27, 2003.

1. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

here is my dilema. i picked up my used plow and it has no pump with it. i have an extra hydraulic pump from my lowrider car and was wondering if there is some kind of diverter valve i can add to it to use to control both the raise / lower and the angle function on my blade. i figure i can mount the pump under the hood of my truck and use a cylinder to raise the blade but this pump is set up to only work one cylinder at a time. since i already have the pump this would save me money that i don't have right now, another advantage is i have 2 spare pumps since i won't be driving the car until spring
    any ideas would be greatly appriciated

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not sure what kind of pump it is,but does it have enough pressure and volume ?

You will need two valves,one with a spring return to center,and the other with a float position.Not sure what valving you have on your pump now,but it may work.

I think for all it's worth,you be better to get a proper setup,and do it right the first time.Find a used pump or power unit,and use it instead.

3. snowflake

snowflake Member

i got a good used western power unit. its the cable style controls
    i havve to look to see ifi got the cables for it or not i now fer sure aint got the control box but that stlye parts are stilll easy to get

gary

4. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

the way the pump works that i have is like this; you move the switch up and it sends power to a solanoid(ford starter type) which sends power(in my car 36v) to the pump motor and it presurizes the cylinder at about 1500 #s and extends the cylinder. when you move the switch down it sends power to the dump valve. the dump valve diverts the oil back to the tank when it is opened due to the fact that the line coming into the dump has a check valve in it, so when the dump valve is opened the oil flows back into the tank and the cylinder is compressed by the weight of the car. the pump motor and dump valves are all 12v units, this is why you see lowriders with hydraulics that raise so quickly and are able to hop the front end, they are using 12v pump motors being run by 36, 48, 72 or more volts(you can also get higher flow pumps and run larger hoses). to control the speed the vehicle drops you use a slowdown valve which is basicly the same concept as a water fawcet.
    i was just wondering if there was anything i could add to control the angle, i have heard that there are kits to convert old pumps that didn't have power angle and was wondering if something like this would work for me.
    the main advantage i am thinking with this system is it would mount under the hood where the engine will keep it warm and help prevent it from freezing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  5. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

how much? i have a meyer plow, but figure i can make it work. if not the guy i work for has a western and might be interesed in a spare(since he won't come off his spare meyer i wanted to buy off of him)

6. snowflake

snowflake Member

other problem you are goin to run into is that the angle side to side is power left and right. lift is like your low rider set up power up and float down sounds like a lot off headacke to get it to work properly.

just my two cents worth

7. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

yeah probobly. unless someone has a good idea how to do this i'll just keep an eye on e-bay or possibly by the western pump, and go that route. let me know when you figure out how much you want for it.

8. snowflake

snowflake Member

double d
    i emailed you the price on that pump
    let me know what you wanta do

thanks
    gary

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 Junior Member