1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic pump help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by leftybillusa, May 19, 2015.

1. leftybillusa

leftybillusa Junior Member
    from CT

I came across this old hydraulic plow unit that I picked up for pennies. I am looking to put it on my old truck, but have never seen a unit like this. Can anyone help in identifying the parts and just maybe a road map of installation?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be.

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

plow3.jpg

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

That looks like something home made. Did you get a plow with it?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Straight up homemade!!
    Looks like he mounted an electric motor to a hydraulic pump.
    IF your good at fab skills you could mount the pump to the truck. And then get a belt and pulley system worked out

4. leftybillusa

leftybillusa Junior Member
    from CT

So the hydraulic pump that would normally run off the engine is belted to an electric pump...correct? In theory I could just mount it as is under the hood and run electric to it with a switch to turn the pump on and off and that would run the hydraulic pump. I did get a 7foot blade and head gear in the deal. I think I'll try it out and see how she runs.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you could. Not sure how many amps that thing pulls, but it could be a lot.
    If it's just your drive, that's fine but, 7' is to small for normal trucks. Minimum width is 7'6