1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Pump Freezes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Stymie, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

My hydraulic pump freezes in the down position when it's too cold. What's the simplest, cheapest way to keep it warm while the truck is parked? Thanks!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The fluid your using may thicken when it is cold outsid. Only the water that is contaminating the fluid will freeze.

Change your fluid(drain your rams too) and fix any leaks..

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

i would also spray some WD40 (or similar) around the packing nut

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Keep it in a heated garage.

5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Throw a tarp over it at night with a drop light under the tarp.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Why not just change the oil to fresh low-temp hydraulic oil and not have to worry about it?

7. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I concur with the other posts. Change your fluid. There is moisture in your line somewhere. What type of pump is it? You will get better answers on your questions if you give us more information to work with! Try putting your equipment in your signature so u dont have to type it in all the time. Just a suggestion!:salute:

8. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

Thank you all. I will post more info on the pump. I'm new at this. Unfortunately a heated garage isn't an option at this point.

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

what kind of pump to you have? If it a meyer check your o rings , Sno farmer is right it is the water getting in freezing.

mike