1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Problem - Keeps running w/Down Pressure

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Oct 18, 2008.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I picked up my plow today from storage and the gremlins got it. 26 Series.
    When I have down pressure on and drop the plow, the pump will keep running. I have to manually hit the stick "Up" a tad to get the pump to kick off.

Sound like a bad switch or selonoid?

My dealer is closed today, just trying to get an idea what could be wrong.
    Worked fine before I put it away.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Stuck valve in the DP curcuit.

Raises OK?

3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yep. Raises fine. Left, Right OK too. Just when I have DP on and drop it.

So, what's the remedy for a stuck valve in DP circuit? replace, clean, flush, what's the order of trouble shooting?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

NEVER put your plow in storage.

leave it in the dirt in the back yard and forget about it till winter that they like it.

6. seeyaa

seeyaa Junior Member

Had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago. It was a broken down pressure switch. When stacking snow, the plow came up and the switch hit my push bar. Could not see any damage on the outside but when I took the cover off, the connector broke off the switch. I think it was a $90 dollar part. Pro Image in Manchester NH had one in stock.
    :)

7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Cleaned valves out, no different. DP applies but does not stop. Have to manually tap the stick to stop the pump. Downpressure does work, just does not shut off. Sounds like the DP selonoid?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Either a stuck pressure relief or a bad down pressure switch would be my next guess

9. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yep, you guessed right... 85 bux later my DP works properly. It was a bad DP switch.