1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Pickup Insert Salter-How?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JohnnyRoyale, Sep 14, 2009.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Is it possible to mount a hydraulic insert salter-v type, into the back of a pickup without the use of a gas power pack? Tired of messing with gas motors, and not sold on electric powered units. Is there an underhood system which can be used? Lets say the truck is an Auto F350 pickup, with no PTO provision for arguments sake. Pros/Cons? :drinkup:
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There was at some point (don't know if it still aval. or for what trucks. Motor mounted hydro pumps. Good luck once you see the prices on central hydro, you'll rethink.
  3. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

go with electric, I have been using several electric v boxes for a few years and never had a single problem, plus no gas, oil and engines that won't start. What a pain, would never go back
  4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I think snow ex makes one that is compatible with dump inserts (it replaces the tailgate).
  5. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

I used to have an f350 with the 7.3 with a motor mounted hydraulic pump(pto pump)that ran my vbox salter. Worked great for 10 years until my truck got wrecked. Now i have the salter for sale if you are interested the salter comes complete minus the pto pump. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=83525&highlight=monroe

But if your just looking for a pump then i suggest you call Force America that is where i get all my pto pumps and they bulletproof.
  6. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Hydraulic or Electric

Yes you can get under the hood Hydraulics for a pick up but you might save some money and be just as happy if you go electric. If you decide to go electric Snowex makes nice spreaders but I would go with Salt Dogg they cost less and the parts are cheaper. They work just as good if not better.
  7. JohnnyRoyale

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Will call one of my dealers later this aft for quote on underhood system.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Phone Allstone on Hwy 27. They sell Monroe salters. Last year I saw a GM with a hydraulic V box. No different then what I have on my 1999 3500HD of JD has on his white 3500.

They are south of 9 for sure and I think south of Aurora road.
  9. JohnnyRoyale

I'm not convinced they understand hydraulics better than the alternative. They screwed up a buddy of mines tailgate salter last year. Got too busy today putting out fires-ill have to make some calls tomorrow. Thanks anyways.
  10. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Clutch Pump

A clutch pump is what you want to ask them for make sure you get enough Gallons per minute (GPM) to run a spreader I want to say it is about 12 GPM but don't quote me on that. I am going to call my dealer today because I am getting ready to outfit another one of my trucks with a hydraulic system also. I will let you know.
  11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Knew someone that had a Ford SRW 1 ton rack dump w/ a 351. Was underhood clutch pump. Deweeze or something similar to that was the company that made the unit. Was purchased used, but new ones are a couple grand or so...
  12. fourthcoastcont

fourthcoastcont Junior Member

Clutch Pump Is what you need. I have 2 f-350's with 7.3 motors they work great