1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Oil Question (FARM TRACTOR)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Saliba, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Saliba

Saliba Member

So last night was my 5th night out, and i just had the two hoses that go from the cross relief valve to the harness made longer by my dealer because they were made too short when they installed my horst blade for me. About 5 hours in last night, i heard the hydraulic pump starving so i shut it down right away. Went and walked around the tractor and there was oil all over the bottom of the harness. Turns out the tech that made the hoses longer didn't tighten the fitting and all my oil leaked out. I didn't have 30L of the jd hydraulic oil at the barn and it was late at night so i was forced to go and buy walmart hydraulic oil. There was 2 different oils, one said all around tractor fluid and another was just hydraulic oil for farm and cons eq., i got the hydraulic oil and now i'm a little worried about running the tractor. The jd hy-guard says trans/hydraulic so will this oil i got ruin the transmission? Its my dads tractor i'm using and i'm young and not very familiar with the differences in oils, and i don't really trust my dealer at the moment but thats a whole different story. Its a JD 6220 by the way.

Any help would be great.

-Brandon

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Check the pail the oil came in. It should conform to standard JDM J20C.

If it doesn't say so on the pail, you will probably need to flush & refill with the proper oil.

Good Luck

3. Saliba

Saliba Member

Ok thanks for the help.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict