1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic of electrical issue? Please help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NaturesEnemy1, Dec 3, 2014.

1. NaturesEnemy1

NaturesEnemy1 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Installed an RT3 7.6 straight blade that I bought used, into a 1999 chevy k3500 dump truck. When I bought the plow I picked it up and hooked it up to another truck with an RT3 mount. Plow worked great. No problems.

I worked this new/used plow up to our truck via diagrams and good guessing. I'm waiting on head light adapters to come in from BOSS so the head light currently aren't hooked up. Plow is hooked up and with angle left and right. I can hear solenoid clicking. But plow won't raise. The only way I can get it to raise is if I pulse the button. When I pulse the button, the plow will raise 1/4" at a time. I put some fluid in. Seems like levels are normal.
    I checked the pin on the 13 pin connector and everything is fine (remember, it worked fine when I brought it home). Is this problem electrical or hydraulic?

I can't hook it up to other truck because we had to put a different power plug on plow.
    Any help would be great.
  2. BossEric

BossEric Member

have you tried another controller? this is where I would start.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Your guessing may be the problem. Check to make sure you wired it correctly. A missing ground could make lots of problems.
    Motor solenoid could be bad.
  4. NaturesEnemy1

from Ohio

Thanks guys. I'll check it out tomorrow. I did buy a new controller for it. Plus I've tried 3 different controllers and it still doesn't raise.

Any other thoughts? I'll report back tomorrow
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Does the motor run when you try to lift it?
    If not motor solenoid could be bad.
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to reason in my head that if it worked fine on another truck before you changed the power plug, and now it doesn't work right, that you've got electrical issues. I can't say that I've ever seen a hydraulic package just up and die like that.
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's good guessing?
  8. NaturesEnemy1

from Ohio

Found the problem. White wire (plow up) had power from controller all the way up to the 13 pin plug. Somehow the pin inside the plug has worn out. Bypassed the plug and plow works great now. Probably going to just order a new wiring harness.

Pins (male and female) both look fine. Who knows. Thanks again for your help guys.