1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PhatSupraTT, Sep 13, 2007.

1. PhatSupraTT

PhatSupraTT Member

I posted this on the beginners forum and didn't get the answers I was looking for. Hopefully, people here will give me more advise.

I'm looking into buying my first plow and I'm curious exactly what the difference between Snoway's highly marketed "downpressure" feature and Western Suburbanite's hydraulic lockdown.

I'm leaning toward the Suburbanite but want to make sure I'll be able to back drag without issues.

2000 Tacoma
  2. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Snoway's Downpressure is what it sounds like. Most snowplows rely on their weight to scrape clean to the pavement. The hydraulic lifts and chain lifts are basically put in neutral for a lack of a better term and the blade is allowed to follow the contour of the ground to the extent of the bottom swing of the hydraulic unit. Snoway's patented downpressure uses the hudraulic cylinder to apply additional pressure down on the cutting edge. It can accomplish this because the lift system is a hydraulic lift. Most western and fisher plows used a chain lift so there is no hydraulic cylinder to act directly on the plow to apply down pressure and snoway has kept anyother company from this idea through their patent. The hydraulic lockdown on the suburbanite basically uses a pressure gate to keep the blade from floating over larger piles of snow. It doesn't add any additional force to the blade but rather restricts its upward movement. Snoways are expensive but they have very nice plows to fit the light weight market as well as the larger vehicle market. They have their pros and cons like any of the plows do. Just use common sence and look at not only your current use would be but what plow would allow you to remain flexible in the future if ever there were more demand for you and your plow. or how well the plow will transfer to a future vehicle. :salute: