1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic line fire

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mark Witcher, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a 2000 model 9.2 V plow that the lift cylinder hose failed 3 times in about 2 hours of plowing. The last time it was actually on fire. None of the local dealers could explain what the cause was. Until we got ahold of the Boss factory guy. We believe that the plow was losing its ground and the hydraulic hose became the new ground path. Anyone else had such a problem?
  2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I would say no way to the Hydraulic line becoming a ground. Seems it would go through the mount alot easier. That being said I don't know what caused the fire.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's nothing new or out of the ordinary, was rather common on the older stuff that didn't have a dedicated ground cable on the pump motor. Generally happens when the motor or pump mounting bolts get loose thus it searches for a ground path elsewhere...and that's often though a hose. The old Westerns and Fishers were famous for it due to their weak pump grounding points.