1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Liftgate not staying up

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by berlincam86, Feb 5, 2014.

1. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Ok so I bought a eagle Liftgate for my truck. Didn't have the pump, hose and cylinder in it. Found those parts used put them in but the Liftgate bleeds down. Is it because I'm using transmission fluid instead of hydraulic fluid? Or is the release valve slightly stuck open? It's a gravity down/power up type of lift.
  2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Your release has an issue. I have a tailfate lift pump and have to look at it. I think there is a oneway valve that needs to be there too.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  3. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Ok I'll look into it. So the tranny fluid should be fine to use?
  4. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I finally got around to working on it. It was the release valve. I took it out and the tip of the valve is threaded with a locknut. It came loose and the tip loosened so the valve inside wasn't sealing. I tightened it all up and it works great no more problem. Thanks for the help.