1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Hose Thread Sealant

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edrenckh, Oct 17, 2014.

1. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

What type of thread sealant do you use for a hydraulic line? Teflon tape? Plumbing pipe dope? Some special sealer?

Any advice appreciated. I have a small leak on my hose connector that goes into the main plow cylinder. It is not a flare fitting.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What plow? What kinda fitting is it?

3. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

It is a boss, poly V, with an 8' blade. It is the main connection that goes into the hydraulic cylinder. It looks like a brass fitting, screwed into the steel cylinder frame. The hydraulic fluid goes through it.

4. dieselss

Should be an adapter type fitting right? Has a nut on it?

5. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

It is a fitting that screws directly into the cylinder. The hose has an adapter, but I am leaking right at the cylinder.

6. dieselss

Picture? I think I know what type of fitting. And it usually just needs tightening.

7. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

See if this works. I may be able to tighten it, but it should have some thread sealer on it.

PlowFitting.jpg

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It's NPT thread. Any pipe sealant with teflon will do the trick.

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Common pipe thread - we just use pipe dope. Tape works too, just don't get it torn and a piece inside the cylinder

10. dieselss

Yea put some sealer on that. I wasn't thinking it was that kind at all. Tape should work

11. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Thanks. I will use pipe dope, I was afraid of the Teflon tape getting in places where it should not. I wasn't sure if there was a 'special' (i.e. high priced) sealant that people used.

12. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

You're right about the tape being a bad idea. Small pieces get everywhere in the system and cause trouble. If the pipe dope doesn't work, Locktite makes a hydraulic thread sealer that works well but it's quite spendy.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They make hydraulic pipe dope but it seems it seems Teflon tape works best when used correctly.

14. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

There's no using tape correctly on hydraulics. Don't take my word, ask your local hydraulic shop.

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree, a hydraulic fitting needs no tape or goop as the seal is not made by the threads, a lot of these plows still use pipe fittings(old school) and they may need something but most of the time if you just tighten them enough they won't leak.

tape and goop will end up in your screen causing problems.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It seems it seems?

Lol

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So nice I said it twice.
    You are correct that's why your also not suppose to use regular pipe dope either. We have hydraulic pipe dope but it seems on some fittings the Teflon works great you just have to be careful. Been using it for over 25 years and never had a problem so I don't really worry about it now. If your putting pipe dope or Teflon on a JIC or similar type fitting you probably shouldn't be working on hydraulics.

18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

plumbers tape build up plumbers tape