1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic hose bracket (another "custom" fab)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 75, Feb 18, 2001.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I like my Monarch powerpack, what I didn't like was trying to hook/unhook my power angle hoses with them flopping around. I fabbed a bracket to hold the truck hoses solid: First, measure the space between the quick disconnect fitting and the hex portion of the threaded hose end. Use a piece of material this thickness to make your bracket. This is important, when everything is assembled you want the fitting to clamp down tight on the bracket but still allow the tapered pipe threads to seal. The space on mine was 3/16", so I used a piece of 3/16" flat bar. (Mine was 2" x 6" long, actual size isn't really critical as long as it is big enough to accept the hoses) Unscrew the quick disconnect fittings from the hoses, and drill two holes the same diameter as the hose threads. I spaced mine at 3" centre/centre. Attach the bracket to your mount - I welded mine, depending on your installation you might prefer drilling and bolting. An alternative would be to use a piece of angle and drill one leg for the hoses, the other leg to bolt to one of the uprights on your mount. Touch up the paint, then reassemble your hoses on the bracket. I also drilled a small hole between the hoses and used a keychain ring to attach caps for the fittings, to keep dirt out when I've got the blade off. This makes a nice "finished" looking installation, and you've got 8,000+ lbs of truck to hold one half of the hose connection solid while you wrestle with the other.

1975 GMC C-35

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thats a good idea,and we do something similar with ours.I use a "breakaway" bracket from our local tractor supplier.It's meant to automatically disconnect the hoses in the event they get forgotten or the unit comes off.It makes it so much easier to pull them off in one shot,and it has saved us a few times when a tired driver forgets to disconnect a hose before backing away from the plow.

3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Never forgotten the hoses, but the other day I took the blade off (and told myself not to forget the chain) and then promptly backed away with the chain on and dragging the blade down the drive. I always back the first few feet very slowly so there was no damage but I can tell you that the blade is a BEAR to hook up on the pins when you can't get the chain off and maneuver the darn thing.
    The first thing I did was to look over my shoulder to make sure my neighbors didn't see me. LOL

Bruce

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

That's one I HAVEN'T done! (Having said that, watch me do just that next time I unhook!) Wyldman, I like your idea of using the breakaway bracket: How does the cost compare to regular disconnect fittings, and does it require different ends on the cylinder hoses? One other question too, I have 1 male, 1 female fitting on my bracket to make the hose hookup "idiot resistant", (like Kraco_1 says, forget about "idiot proof"!) can this be done with the breakaway bracket?

1975 GMC C-35

5. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

What got me about leaving the chain hooked up was that that was the one thing I thought of to be sure to check... and then I didn't!!

Go figure

Bruce :D

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The breakaway setup uses standard couplers,but you must run them with both females on the plow side.What it does is clamp on to the sliding part of the couplers,and pull's them back.It is made by Parker,and is available for 1/4 up to 3/4" couplers.It is not totally idiot proof,so i paint on side,so it is easy to reference while hooking up.