1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Fuild Freeze Ups

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mac, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Member

Has anyone found a good hydraulic fuild. (That does not freeze up when a little water gets in it)

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Nope, when water gets in it, you change the fluid. You can add isopropyl alcohol to fluid, but it will just let the water mix with the oil, which is even more of a mess and bad for the internals of the pump. Steel springs and check balls don't like water.

~Chuck

3. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have had promblems with blue fluid. changed to automatic trans fluid and change fluid every season. no more promblems

4. Sammy

Sammy Member

Case/IH HY-TRAN fluid. Some good stuff.

5. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

i changed my e-47's from meyer blue to the fluid they put in jets. I havnt had my fittings freeze up as much. I also spray the tar out of them with deicer & any type of lubricant..wd40 etc

6. UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB Member

see frozen fluid?????

see frozen fluid????

7. RB

RB Senior Member

There is this stuff in a red plastic bottle (don't know the name), but they say it is guaranteed not to freeze. I think it's called somethign Marvel Mystery fluid (not kidding). I've seen it at Wal-Mart.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Change the oil in your pump AND plow cylinders every year before the start of the season. Most people just change the oil in the pump cause it has a big ol drain plug on it but most dont change the oil in the cylinders. Those cylinder accummulate condensation during the spring, summer and fall and then gets misxed into the nice clean pump oil the first time you angle the plow. Then it gets nice and cold and boom frozen pump.

CMerLand