1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic Freeze Up.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Devo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Devo

Devo Junior Member

Hey Guys, The other day I think it was member "Up North" was talking about how his plow would not move, or was really slow because he had left it out in -20 temps. This got me thinking, now maybe it's a stupid idea but I thought there's only one way to find out. Ask the experts!
    So, I was thinking I presume that most of us do not have a garage to store our plows in, so there left outside to the elements.
    so why not insulate the Hydraulic hoses with the foam type insulation, what we all use for say, half inch water pipes, and also make a jacket to insulate the resevior, and pump. It may just mean the difference between things moving or not ? Also, the insulation would protect the rubber hoses from the deterioration effect of the Sun during the Summer months.
    Am I on to something, or have I been working on my own too long ?
    Devo. :waving:
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Years ago there was a plow heater available. It mounted around the reservoir for the plow pump and had hoses that circulated antifreeze from the engine through it.... As far as today, I think using a good plow oil and keeping moisture out of the system(i.e. flushing system and replacing fluid).
  3. Devo

Devo Junior Member

hydraulic freeze up

Thanks for the Info.
    I just thought It might be a quick and cheap way to keep the fluid moving
    in those sub-zero temps.
    See ya !
    04SD 8' HD Fisher. :waving:
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Devo,
    Yep that was me. Had to let it sit in my shop for a couple hours because the fluid must have been too thick or froze up. I've used it a couple times since without incedent, but it hasn't been as cold as it was that day either. I think we had -24 below that morning. I like your idea, but at this point I will probably just keep it in the shop if it's going to get super cold out.

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict