1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic fluid

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by bow2no1, Nov 26, 2008.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i put my new main ram on last night, and also figured i would change my fluid, good thing, doesn't look like i had been changed before.

my local Curtis dealer is over an hour away, i'm not going to drive there just to buy fluid.
    so i called them, asked what kind of hydraulic fluid to put in... of course i get the obvious "Curtis fluid" well duh :dizzy:

i told him my situation, asked if fisher hydraulic fluid for there electric plow was ok. he said yes. as long as it's good for at least -30 below and it's not as thick as normal hydraulic fluid.

i put it in but haven't used it yet. just in case..

any one else every used any other fluids?
  2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

yeah, I was all set with paying $11 per quart for their "special" fluid.... I heard of alot of people using automatic tranny fluid so that's what I put in. I just changed it this year and have moved the plow around quite a bit. Seems fine.
  3. danknight60

danknight60 Member

you can use the fisher hydraulic fluid or tranny fluid but using tranny fluid u will have to replace it every year as it loses it density in the pumps
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Older Hiniker Manual :: Univis J26 good to -60 Mil 5606 good to -60 SAE 5 good to -25 ISO VG 20 good to 0 SAE 10 good to 0 ATF good to 0 ... Hope that helps....
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i talked to curtis the other day dexron 3 tranny oil is fine they saud there is no reason to speand money on there special fluid
  6. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i paid 12.50 a quart... yikes!

they call it the peninsula charge. since i live way down here at the end. only 1 auto parts store..

i'll mark it up as a lesson learned
  7. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Woulnt a Hydraulik 32 grade do?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

These pumps are notoriious for building up gunk in the tank , best bet is to remove the pump from the a-frame, remove the tank clean inside and the screen, re-assemble and run / cycle the flushing solution through the entire system, then drain and replace the fluid. You can use Kerosene to flush, just don't leave it in for any extended period of time.

I typically flush them with Meyer flushing fluid ( $9 a quart) and use the Meyer type blue fluid, never had an issue, I buy the SAM aftermarket stuff from the auto parts store for $6-$8 per quart.

9. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

The guy at a dealer by me told me that the SAM aftermarket was just ATF fluid, was it blue?