1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Fluid

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dankaps, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dankaps

dankaps Junior Member
    from wny

Has anyone ever used another fluid besides BLIZZARD SNOWPLOW RAPID ACTION HYDRAULIC OIL in their blizzard plow. I have a bottle of S.A.M. (Snowplow Aftermarket Manufacturing) Low Temp (-50) Hydraulic Fluid. Just looking for some experience with other brands of fluids.
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Yes. I use aircaft hydraulic oil in all my plows. Blizzard, Boss, Meyer. There is no need to put branded oil in any plow.
  3. chrisps

chrisps Junior Member

I was also thinking about this and I was wondering what the specifications would be for the hydraulic oil? I have a 760 blizzard.
  4. damian

damian Senior Member

5606 mil spec oil is the aircraft hydraulic oil i believe it is the original blizzard low temp oil.i dont know if it is the same as buyers blue or sam or douglas dynamics oil but if i had to guess i would say it is.many of my customers have used atf and hydraulic oils without problems but it doesnt get into single digit temps often in new england and if it does its only a few days.
  5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Does anybody still use ATF? That's what Blizzard spec'd back around 2002.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

you can buy this in 5 gal buckets or 55 gal drum. the kendall delivery guy had it in his lift gate in the winter. i asked him how it worked so fast in the cold and covered in snow/ice from his 2 hr drive to use.

he said this stuff right here. http://www.conocophillipslubricants...strial_oils/Ken Hyken Glacial Blu TDS Web.pdf and he said he delivers a lot to plow shops all the time.

its kendall Glacial Blu Hydraulic Fluid
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011