1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic fluid question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wahlturfcare, Dec 22, 2006.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a 77 dodge w400 1 ton that has a hydraulic pump(electric belt driven) under the hood that controls the western blade and swenson sander. it was working fine when i took everything off in the spring. but now when i start the truck and turn the pump on it sounds like a fog horn till everything warms up and will still make the noise if i flip it on going down the road. it didnt before. I also noticed the blade lowers slowly now. I did put a new front lift hose on it and quick coupler to the tank to aleviate draning the tank each time i take the sander off. I was wondering if i have the wrong hydraulic fluid in it? i have quaker stare preimuim hydro tractor fluid for different brands. Could i maybe need something alittle thinner? and would it cause the blade to lower slowly?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you clean/replace the filter?

3. wahlturfcare

hydro

no, i havent changed it yet. i did take the return that hooks up to the filter and it is getting plenty of fluid when it first starts, just wondering if its too thick.
    the local swenson dealer thinks i might have rust or something in the pump from sitting over summer or a bad clutch. swenson direct thinks i could have wrong fluid, bad pump, clutch.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The MFG will all ways tell you to use their fluid.

You are using a hydraulic fluid already, Is it the same fluid you always used?

The filter could be getting clogged/ restricted by sludge that settles on the bottom of the tank.

The electric clutch could have dirt/oil in it also.

5. JCB Inc.

JCB Inc. Junior Member

the noise is due to pump cavation try thinner oil also check and or replace filter . The blade would lower slower if the oil viscosity is thicker.One more thing some couplers have u cups which are for pressure not vacume which can happen in a oil resavore, this can cause air in the oil.

6. wahlturfcare

hydro

i just picked up the truck in the spring. the coupling is 2175psi coupling.
    the factory at swenson told me air wouldnt be getting into the system since im pumping the fluid out throught the return strong and it self bleeds through the plow lift arm.
    weird system.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Most hydraulic systems will bleed the air out of them selves.
    Be sure the fluid level is up to the full mark.Low fluid level will cause cavation in the pump resulting in noise, pump wear and it will allow more air to enter the system.

As for it lowering to slowly go back and double cheek your work. Did you replace both ends of the coupler or just one side?

8. wahlturfcare

hydro

what i did was change the hose from the solenoids to the lift arm and used the coupler over since the old hose has a pinhole leak in it. just the hose is new(1/4x60''). i can get pics if needed.