1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic fluid question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dcwn.45, Jan 21, 2011.

1. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Is there an additive to help remove or control moisture in the fluid?
    My plow is old and though I change the fluid, it still seems to get moisture in and can freeze up.
    I will change the motor gasket, lift cyl and all 3 packings eventually, but is there anything I can do to temporarily keep it working?

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Some plower put a cap full of heet in your fluid

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I was having the same problem with mine and I sealed around the motor mount with RTV and no more problems. I change the fluid every fall and it drains as red as when I put it in. I use ATF in my old Western chain lift Proplow.

4. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Yes but I also need to replace the lift ram(it is pitted and I suspect letting moisture in) and would like to limp it along for a bit longer
    Is it ok to put in some heet or is there something else?

5. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I've heard of people using the capful of HEET and never having problems. When you get a chance to seal around the motor base it should seal it up. My lift ram is pitted also but I still don't get water in there anymore. Another little advice, make sure you put a dedicated ground from your lift motor motor mount bolt back to the truck chassis or neg terminal on the battery as the undercarriage can lose it's contact over time due to corrosion. Then the motor finds it's ground through the pump and it won't be long and you'll be replacing a $150 pump.

6. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

If you don't have fluid leaking out, you're not getting water in.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you running for a breather? The gray Fisher/Western/Blizzard is very effective at keeping moisture out.

As mentioned, if you're not leaking fluid from your ram seals, it's unlikely moisture is getting in.

8. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

So I re_did the gasket from the motor to pump and it looked like that was the culprit
    Did a fluid change and while I was at it I replaced the main pivot bolt (it was loose and too damaged to tighten)
    So we will see if I'm fixed
    Thanks a ton for all the helpful replies everyone!
    This is a great site

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW Central Parts lists an antifreeze (sold in 1oz) for plow hydraulics systems. No idea what it is- never heard of such a thing.

10. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

It's probably HEET.. for $4.95... lol

11. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Hope it helped.

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Not to get into thermodynamics and physics, but if you have a leak out (even under pressure) you have a leak in.Thumbs Up

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmmm.....Check valves let fluid flow one direction only all day long.

It is possible - though maybe not very likely - that the seal is indeed working as a check valve.

14. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

SO far so good!
    I did order a couple gaskets for the motor-pump just to have on hand, they are 1.40 each so it will be easier than permatex
    Thanks again everyone for the help!

15. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I used the gaskets too, I just ran a bead around the motor base where it mounts to the housing because the gaskets I got were cork and was still getting water in. Sorry if I confused you.