1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic fluid/oil recommendation, please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rabsparks, Nov 14, 2004.

1. rabsparks

rabsparks Junior Member

I'd appreciate your recommendations for a hydraulic fluid for my snow plow. The manufacturer recommends Lubriplate, but I was wondering what everyone else is using. Thanks.

rick

2. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

Lubes

The best = www.le-inc.com

6520 multiweight will work in anything!

3. Does anyone know what kind of fluid is yellow? The only stuff I know about is either red or blue. Thanks

4. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

meyer new fluid is yellow

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Fisher fluid is pretty clear is that what you mean by yellow?

6. I had bought a used sno-way plow this Jan. and the hydraulic fluid that was in it is a yellow kind. It's real clean, but the oil itself is yellow in color. I assume that the guy who had it before me changed the fluid the one year he had it and used this stuff.

Meyer fluid you say? What fluid is compatible with this stuff?

7. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I was reading in the new CPW catalog and saw some things about oil. It says in there that new plows use "small orifice" cartridge valves that are very susceptible to dirt and debris. For this reason alone, manufactures recommend a yearly oil change and flushing not to mention the collection of moisture in the oil from temperature changes in the summer. It also states in there that ATF is 11 times thicker than plow oil at -20*F and could jam newer electric valving. So I would say as cheap as this oil is compared to the repair cost of a hydraulic powerpack and down time, I would spend $10-$15 dollars on the O.E.M. oil.

8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Some use synthetic ATF fluid in their hydraulic systems (I do and it work much better in colder temps) and it also depends on brand too. Western and Fisher work well with ATF fluid generally while Meyer likes fluid that is pretty thin as a rule. I have thinned ATF fluid with kerosene in the past too with good results before I switched to syn ATF fluid. Also one or two ounces per quart will help std ATF flow better a lot in cold weather with no bad side effects that I have ever seen. Changing fluid regulaly is a good idea if for no other reason than to get and keep any moisture out of system than can freeze and bind spools.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i only use atf in the western plows myself

10. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I get mine from Angelo's Supplies... Around $3.49/QT and it's blue