1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic fluid leak around pump motor

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Boomer123, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Hello everybody I have a hydraulic fluid leak around my pump motor. I have an ultra mount original series Midweight Plow. I replaced my pump motor at the beginning of the season and now I seem to have a slow leak at the bottom of the motor base. Any thoughts.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

3. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

4. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

So then I take it that no hydro fluid should be coming up the shaft. When I did replace the pump motor there was quite a bit of hydro fluid in the motor and around the base.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No, no fluid ever in the motor

6. mishnick

The reservoir is pressurized... remember the 5 Psi valve in the vent cap? When the fluid level rises, from lowering the plow, the reservoir level goes up creating pressure. Since the fluid splashes around and foams up any fluid that is around the pump shaft will be forced up through the bad seal into the motor. Remember also that there is no seal around the pump shaft where it goes into the gear pump. So as you use the pump some pump pressure would leak up toward the seal and if the seal is compromised the positive pressure will force it up into the motor.

When people change the motor or pump they must watch that they don't knock the tension spring out of the lip of the seal. Otherwise this is what happens.

7. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

any special tools or skills needed to change this gasket?

8. mishnick

There is an installation tool. Kind of a bolt thing with some round metal pushing ends that ensure the seal goes in uniformly but I believe the installer comes with the seal kit.

Have a look at this link: Seal repair kit with installer:
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdfs/28855.01_070108.pdf

9. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Mishnick man you're a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

10. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

misnick my local parts place only supplies the seal not the seal kit with tool. Do you really need the tool kit to install the seal. If so I guess i will have to order online.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have a full selection of tools and punches, better to get the tool

12. mishnick

I would wait for the tool. The seal is easy to damage and needs to be pressed in.