1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic fluid in older fisher pump or ATF

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cgillispn, Feb 8, 2005.

1. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

I have heard that eventhough the fisher pump says right on it to use ATF that it slows the pump down. It is alright to use tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid? I have heard of other ppl using this and it speeds up the pump and performs alot better but I dont want to ruin any seals in the pump or the rest of the system. I have John Deere transmission and hydraulic oil in teh garage, use it or no?
  2. osbo68

osbo68 Member

We use ATF in ours. Thats what fisher runs so why not.
  3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have been using ATF from the day i got it and i have used it in -5 degree weather and not had 1 prob with it and i have the old fisher valve type(on the outside)..Its also cheaper to keep an extra quart behind the seat..NO WORRIES :drinkup:
  4. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

ok, but has anyone heard of using hydraulic oil to make the plow move faster....them old fishers are pretty slow!
  5. sd350

sd350 Junior Member

check out your local oil dealer they may carry an oil equivalent to aircraft hydraulic oil stays thin in any tempature it is expensive so make sure you don't have any leaks but well worth it in -30 weather or an ESSO brand oil called J13 ---- hydraulic oil is still a little too thick