1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Fluid Help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Buckhunter, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

I went to check the hydraulic fluid level in on the plow today and the cap was on to tight so I got out a pair of pliers. My brother decided that he would help and went to take the cap off and he yanked the whole fluid intake on the side of the plow off. Any ideas of how I can rig something up so the fluid will stop leaking out until the spare part gets here. Any ideas appreciated!

2. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I'm not sure because I have never taken it out.

But I'm guessing that it is NTP thread, if so you can just screw in a bung with a cap on the end for now.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's just 3/8" pipe thread...and of course plastic. Use whatever means necessary to remove whats left of the elbow and just install a 3/8' pipe plug for temporary use. You can always top off the fluid as necessary through the internal vent cap.

4. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I'd go one step farther than B&B. Put in a brass 2-inch long nipple with an elbow and pipe plug so you have a metal filler neck that will not break. You might even find an elbow with 3/8 on one side and 1/2 on the other so you have a nice big target for filling.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

elbow

biggest problem the tank is thin metal elbow might be to tough on the thin steel . some times a easy out or the shank of a large file can be tapped in an turn it out ! there are plastic elbows available at the hardware store .:salute:

6. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

Thanks guys. I got at temporary fix on it right now that is holding and am going to get a brass or metal elbow tomorrow.