1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic fluid for Meyers E47 pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wsmm, Oct 29, 2002.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

I'm currently using the recommended hydraulic fuild in my Meyers E47 unit. It's on a 79 Dodge Ramcharger. Purchasing either the Meyer's brand of a generic fuild is rather expensive. Does anyone out there use anything besides the recommended fuild? If so what do you use? If I knew the chemical makeup and what's it's base was I might have someone that could locate a substitute. If you use an alternative fuild have you experienced any problems because of it?

2. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

I use to have a myers 7'6" angle plow on my truck. I used Transmission oil and so did other people in my area. I now run a V 8'2" boss. :rolleyes:
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Stay with the recomended fluids, they are designed for low temperature operation and contain rust inhibitors and non foaming agents, and are really what your pump needs. Your pump; motor and valves will work easier with less current draw. Just about all the plow manufactures call for use of a quality low temp hydraulic fliud in their power units. :rolleyes: John
  4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Anybody have any good reasons to use only genuine Meyer fluid, as opposed to the more generic costing brands?
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Meyer fluid

it's all I ever used as I got it at dealer cost. I now have a BOSS plow & have a in for getting it at a very good price.

If the generic brand has all the same extras in it then I see no reason not to use it. :waving:

PS: I never had half the problems that my buddy had with his generic fluid in his Meyer ;) but I always thought it was him, like not flushing everthing. :eek:
  6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Other Fluids

No as long as it meets or exceides their specs. I use Kendall's Glacier Blue low temp hydraulic fluid in "all" my new installs, and have for more than eigth years. During service schools this was addressed many times, they really just what you to use a quality low temp hydraulic fluid. Sure they all would like you to use their brand fluids but did not have a problem with using someone else's, as long as it met the spec.:rolleyes: John