1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic fluid change

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mikemac, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

I bought my fisher two summers ago and didn't use it last winter. It's been sitting for around 16 months under a tarp. Do i still need to change the hydraulic fliud?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely you should change it,whether you use it or not they still draw moisture setting around.
  3. 1st Bow

1st Bow Junior Member
    from nw ohio

How about on a new plow that was installed last february? So it sat in a dealer lot since then?
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well I'm a preventative maintenance kinda person so if it sat outside since feb I'd still change the fluid.Could've still gotten moisture in it. I like to look at it this way....$20.00 worth of fluid and an hour's worth of time now, verses hours of down time and agrevation during a snow event. Which would you sooner deal with?
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: :nod: Change it.. Hydraulic fluid absorbs moisture out of the air.

Why wait until the water freezes and your plow stops working to change it.;)
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You get the water from using the plow. Every time you move any ram it gets a tiny bit of water introduced into the system.No matter how good your wiper seals work.The more work the more water.
    People notice the water when they drain it at the end of summer because it comes out of suspension in the fluid.Mine and my Dads has come out pastel pink many times. It sets for 6 months without circulation. The water is lighter then the fluid so it comes to the top. It's a sealed system so no air or water can be absorbed with out working the plow.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the water will go to the bottom.It's heavier than oil.Thats why it's so important when changing fluid to also flush the angle rams as there the lowest point of the system.Thats were the water will be,and of course at the bottom of the pump in the sump.
  8. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Hummm... I think I'm REALLY in trouble.
    I have had my plow about 20 yrs & it was used when I got it. I have NEVER changed the fluid in it. I do use quality Generic type F ATF from the dollar store to top off from leaks & broken hoses though. You think thats what has helped make my plow last? It came off a 62 1/2 ton chevy that was free when I bought the plow for $150.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

WOW,you've been lucky! Is it an old cable op Western pump? I've seen them run year after year with a 1/2 quart of water in them! Never could figure out how it didn't freeze up.