1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Fluid Alternative

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by secret_weapon, Oct 25, 2010.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has used different hydraulic fluid such as from Schaeffer Oil.
    Boss fluid is about $9.00 a quart. I was looking at the Schaeffer Oil DI-LEX Supreme #275SW ISO15. Seems to have the same/similar specs as Boss fluid.
    I can get this for $88.40/ 5gal. which comes out to $4.42 / qt.
    Half Price!
  2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Not sure.........but do you own only 1 plow? If so that 5 gallons will last you 10 years if you just use 2 quarts a year to change the fluid.

If you could get it by the quart, then I say go for it.
  3. secret_weapon

So I really thought about getting the 5 gallon pail, which is the smallest amount available, but there is a catch. Distributor says we have $350 min. order to get free ship, I'd have to order 4 of these to get that. Now it's too much. I have no problem getting the 5 gal. Heck I'd be getting it for 1/2 the cost of Boss fluid. Distributor is not sure of shipping cost yet. I will wait and see. From what I understand (not positive) the color of the fluid is green, which doesn't bother me but if someone was to put this in their plow while still under warranty, I sure the dealer would question it.
    My initial question is if anyone found the same type/spec fluid for less than what Boss sells their fluid for? I'm all for buying OE parts and what not, I just don't like the feeling of getting my wallet raped.
  4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i can get the boss fluid for 7 bucks a quart by me!
  5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i actually use the western fluid. its the same as the boss stuff, a little cheaper and its blue so you cant mix it up with trans fluid like some people use.
  6. Turkey

Turkey Member

I've done a little research on this. The Boss hyd. oil is blended by US Oil Co in Combined Locks, WI. The MSDS for the oil on the Boss website lists the oil as a Zinc Free Multivis #15 HVI-FM. US Oil's spec sheet on their oil lists it as a MIL-Spec 5606 oil, which is aviation hydraulic oil. If you search using the 5606 spec you'll find just about every oil company makes this oil. Whether or not it's cheaper than Boss would depend on your local distributor.
  7. secret_weapon

Well I'll put this on hold for now. Went out and bought a gallon of Boss fluid for $27. Which is just under 7 a quart. Dealer didn't tell me about gallon on the phone, found out when I got there.

Those that just drain and fill your pump, it is about 2 quarts? I filled my completely empty system with about 3 quarts.