1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic cylinder

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jb1390, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am using a 2 way hydraulic cylinder for a dump body setup. It is power up gravity down, and the top part of the cylinder isn't being used for anything. Can i just leave this unplugged-or will it damage the cylinder? I have an elbow in there currently with a little oil-the elbow should make it more difficult for water to get in. Am I ok if I just dump a little oil in there when I grease the other fittings?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Should be able to put a plug in there.
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Can't plug it-if it is a solid plug then the air pressure when the cylinder is raised could stall the motor. If nothing else, force would be wasted compressing air instead of lifting the load.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should have a breather cap installed.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Better idea.....
  6. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

they sell breathers, but you can also put a plug in there with a tiny hole drilled through it.

you want to keep out dirt and moisture to protect the seals, but can't seal it completely
  7. truckboy

truckboy Junior Member
    from texas

How to purchase a hydraulic cylinder and I don't want to overpay?:help:
    A huge number of the websites that I visited take much money for delivery of a hydraulic cylinder payup. I don't wish to pay extra money for delivery:mechanic: