1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydraulic cylendar

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by gmc93, Dec 5, 2009.

1. gmc93

gmc93 Junior Member

My old lift cylendar was siezed up this year so I bought another one. However it acts different than the old one. There is a short delay when raising the plow. Once the engine is turned off and the plow is resting on the ground, I can easily push the ram in the rest of the way. A couple inches down, it feels like it hits something but continues to go down easily. I can also pull it back out with one hand. With my old cylendar, I had to put my whole weight on it to make it go down. This is only the first cylendar after the original, so I don't know which one of them is normal. Just wondering if I should take the new one back before I use it. Any ideas?
  2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Air in the cylinder? I'm just taking a stab in the dark.
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sounds a little strange. Yes, could be trapped air... I assume you have cycled the plow in all directions since this has happened.

My Hiniker has a packing nut on the lift cylinder. (threaded end of cylinder) In order to dismount the plow you have to manually step on the lift cylinder foot pedal to compress when the blade is in the float position. Here is an excerpt from the manual:

NOTE: The plow control box must be in the "float" mode to move the cylinder rod. If the cylinder rod does not retract with power on and the controller in float, loosen the packing nut on the lift cylinder up to 1 1/2 turns to reduce friction.

Something you could try.
  4. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

Sounds like air, cycle the piston a few times and see what happens.