1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic control unit mounting question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westernmdlawn, Nov 16, 2003.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Hi guys... I have an older Fisher snow plow with the under the hood hydraulics. The hydraulic valve splitter or control unit (not sure what exactly its proper name is) is what I have a question about. It is what the pump sends (constant) pressure to and has seperate valves for the angle cylinders and the lift cylinder. I robbed a setup from a dodge and am trying to make it work on an F250. So, nothing bolts up quite like it should and I have had my work cut out making custom brackets and stuff. Anyway, this control unit was mounted level on the dodge under the hood on the fender well. I mounted it inside my F250 today and I have it mounted at about a 30-35 degree angle with the control cables on the downhill side. Is this going to be a problem? Does this unit need to be mounted in a level position to function properly? I didn't think that it mattered too much since it is possible for the truck to be on a steep grade while driving, so it is probably designed to operate at angles. Also, in theory, the entire hydraulic system should be full of oil, with no air - right??? If so, then every space inside the control unit valves should be full and it should work upside down even, right?

Now my next project is to move the pump over. It is designed to use an auxillary "V" belt via a drive pulley bolted on to the crankshaft. This pulley for the crankshaft is $130.00 though! On my Ford, there is no air conditioning, so in place of the a/c pump, there is currently an idler pulley. I'm thinking I can fab some mounts for the pump and stick it in place of the idler pulley and bolt on a Serpentine pulley.

Boy it can be a pain to work on these things!
    Thanks for any help in advance!
    Let it SNOW!!!
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The valve can be mounted in any position as long as it doesnt bind the cables. You should be able to work the pump into the location your thinking as long as you dont need that pulley for tension, the hardest part is finding a belt to fit.
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search here for "plow parts",there are a couple dealers who carry used parts,trust me,get the crank pulley,pump bracket for the ford and a fan spacer,you should be able to pick them up used fairly reasonable.I just went thru all this last week on the same truck,you'll save a lot of aggrevation and time in the long run:realmad:
  4. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Thanks so much guys! It is so awesome to have good help like this. Arc Burn - you probably saved me many hours of frustration - I hope. I will check on that search.
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Check out the Fisher website also,goto the technical section at the top,then goto Snowplows and then to Hydraulics,from there goto Belt driven Hydraulics then to Ford and look for bulletin 7520D,it's a parts breakdown and mounting instructions for the truck your working on,the pump bracket i mentioned lists for $38 and is well worth it,you also need a 1/2" fan spacer which lists for $13 but you can probably find one at the local auto parts store.Let me know if you find the dealers mentioned on here,if not i'll try and look also.