1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic collars

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ppkgmsy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Second year plower here, lots of thanks to this forum for the ideas and tips. I only plow my driveway and occasionally help out a neighbor, so I like to take the plow off my 350 Chevy when not using it. Saves wear on the truck and makes it easier for other jobs. The only trouble comes because the collars on the hydraulic hoses get moisture under them and freeze up. I use an electric hairdyer and blow hot air on them for a minute or two and it usually frees them. I'm wondering, though, if there might be some other way to unfreeze them. I thought of lock de-icer but there's no way to squirt it under the collar. Anyone got any ideas?

2. gary42095

gary42095 Member

use a propane or butane torch. i bought one a few years ago from costco. uses butane for lighters.. i keep it in my glove box. it is made for cooking to toast stuff all fancy like but they sell the same thing in many home stores. i also have used a propane one (the little screw on tank) for plumbing type work. just heat the collar up a little and your fine.. dont go getting crazy or you could melt the O-rings 2 seconds of flame on the collar and your good to go.

3. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

The propane torch is a great idea. I already have one but never thought to use it. Guess that's the value of a forum like this. Is atf or plow oil highly flammable?

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Pull the collar back and spray some lithium grease into it ...It is pretty much all weather grease....

5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

FF is the answer payup

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I have a propane torch in the truck mainly for the pintle hitch.

7. gary42095

gary42095 Member

no need to worry about catching it on fire unless you try to melt the steel fitting with oxy-acetylene torch :)

8. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Sounds like the torch should do the job. I'm also curious about the lithium grease and will give it a shot. Temps this week in Vt are supposed to go down to -13F, so it's a good time to have this knowledge. Thanks very much, I really appreciate the help.

Oh yea, Mike, I don't know what FF means.

9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

fluid film PM dano for a sample if don't have a dealer in your area . local JD dealer carrys them my fleet pride has cans too . stuff works great on all types on stuff :D

10. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, Mike, I'll check with my dealer.

11. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

It shouldn't freeze with proper fluid. If you have trans fluid in there , flush it , it has waxes such as paraffins which harden up. Your trans generates enough heat to keep them loose but your pump doesen't.

I learned the hard way too.

12. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Turbodeisel,

I don't follow you. The problem seems to be the result of moisture getting under the quick-release slip collars and then freezing so they don't slide back and release the hose. For what it's worth, the guy I bought the truck from used to run atf, but I replaced the pump last year I flushed the system and have been running plow oil since then. I'm a newbie, though, so if there's something I don't know please teach me. Thanks.

13. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

I have the quick connects swaped on my western, and when I take the plow off I plug the
    hoses together (ie female on right angle and male on left angle).
    with a little grease there is never a problem. This may work for you I found it also
    keeps the fittings from getting beat-up and collars from lockin-up.

Ed

14. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, Ed, already thought of that and didn't have much luck.