1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic Boss V Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by djfitch, Dec 10, 2005.

1. djfitch

djfitch Junior Member

Last year we installed a new 9'-2" Poly Vee on an F550 SD Dump. It is a straight hydraulic plow run off a pump that powers both the plow and a tailgate spreader. We had many issues with the hydraulic system such as popping relief valves, blowing hoses, etc. The pressures were adjusted several times and it is "believed" that it is set up correctly. The company that sold and installed the plow and spreader did not and does not install the hydraulic system, so a company that specializes in hydraulics did that work as well as the adjustments.
    I personaly have not plowed with the truck so I am somewhat blindly asking the following questions:
    1. The plow is a PITA to operate with the operating controls ( three or four different levers in the cab. Does anyone know of a better way?
    2. The plow does not hold it's position especially when backblading, but even pushing it does not hold under heavy pushes. I do not know if it has or could use the smart lock cylinders.
    3. The driver says that it does not clean up very well. I noticed that when it is parked in a v position that the outer edges are off the ground about 3/8 to 1/2". Is this the norm because of the center pivot point? and can it be corrected or adjusted? I think it was back to the dealer for adjustment.

I was hoping for some feedback or answers before I talk to the dealer. I kind of pushed for the v plow because of all of it's apparent benefits. We just purchased another truck and mounted a Meyers Poly (straight) similar to the rest that we have. I asked why we didn't get the v plow and got a dirty look because of the issues with the one in question.
    I don't know if we should have just put the elec/hyd like is typical. If further information or pictures are needed to respond, let me know.
    A big part of the purchase of the v plow was based on what I read on this list. So hopefully some guidance is available.
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I have no experience with central hydraulics, therefore, your first question, about the 3-4 levers, I cannot answer.

I can answer your 3rd question, because I just went through it with my '05 Dodge 2500. My push arms on the truck, they were set too low by one hole, so when my plow was in the "V" position on the ground, the nose was in the air between 1/3 and 1/2". From what you're describing, I'd say your mount on the truck should be lowered by one hole. This should rotate your nose up and the points on the "V" down.

As for the second question, I can only answer this way. I've got an 8.2 Steel V, with the locking cylinders, which do NOT fold to the scoop position when I'm backdragging.

Nor do they fold to the "V" position when I'm pushing. It almost sounds like you have a slight leak in the system so the plow wings don't hold their pressure.
  3. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I don't know anything about central hydraulics but if its like anything else a good operator should get on to it quick enough

As to your second question smart cylinders would stop it from folding forward , and you can set your relief harder so it does not fold back so easy when you are pushing.

My plow sets flat so I would have the install height checked and it should clean up good
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The outside edges are raised when its parked in the V position....do you mean Vee or SCOOP position? One requires lowering, and one requires raising the truck side mount.

It is VERY important to not only have the proper mount height, but also the proper ANGLE (level) to the truck side mount. If your truck sits nose low or nose high, this can be an issue. In any event, that center vertical hinge pin (between your two blade halves) MUST sit perfectly vertical when plow is lowered.

As for the manual control sticks....you should have just went with the standard BOSS electric/hydraulic. The BOSS handheld control is the best out there, and your not able to utilize this with your central hydraulic system.

Wing cylinder relief settings can cause more harm than good. Unless your having a problem with them folding back while pushing snow (not stacking, or pushing into a pile) I'd suggest leaving them set where they are.

Yes, on a back-drag, the wings will pull forward....it's really no big deal.

A V-plow in general will not clear as good as a straight blade. However, its ability to move large quantities of snow makes up for this.

Was this setup a custom install, as I've never heard of a BOSS hooked to a central hydraulic system (at least not a modern BOSS).?