1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HYD09733 Smartlock cylinder question?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by johnnywaz, Jan 27, 2016.

1. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Curious, I just had to replace a, BOSS, HYD09733 Smartlock cylinder because it would not function in back drag mode last snow but worked fine pushing. How often are you guys that push a lot of snow during storms having to replace smartlock cylinders? Yearly, 2 yrs, more, never yet? Seems odd to me just the back drag part of the cylinder failed but not the push. Anyways, picked up a new one for $189.00. Just got done installing it and all is great now. I will probably tear this broken 1 apart and see if something is obvious with the malfunctioning valve. Is it possible for debris to cause just the lock function not to work? Sorry for all the questions but I have never tore one of these apart yet. For the $189 price of a new one it does not seem worth trying to rebuild a used old one.

2. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Okay so I finally got around to tearing the non functioning Smartlock cylinder apart today. Interestingly they are 100% rebuildable so I am not sure why BOSS does not offer complete rebuild kits other than to milk more money out of their customers forcing you to buy a new cylinder. When I took this thing apart there was a lot of fine particulate debris in the entire valve. I see nothing wrong with the internals other than some slight galling on the piston. I have not hooked the cylinder back up to the plow to try it yet but I will tomorrow and repost results.

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  3. 2low

2low Member

There are repair kits offered by boss

Also where you buying locking cylinders for $189 there $600 Canadian up here

4. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

I could be mistaken but i do not belive BOSS sells a kit for the smartlock valve portion like the pressure relief spring and the seal down inside that cup. I know they sell the packing and wiper seals but i think thats all.

There is a guy/girl on ebay in NY selling them for $199.99 buy it now or make offer. They keep relisting them one at a time after 1 is sold. I offered them $189.00 and they accepet it every time. Ends up at $213.00 for me with delivery.

5. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

For anyone who cares or may be following this thread, got the old cylinder back on and it works! So for those of you with failing Smartlock cylinders just try tearing them down and cleaning them. In the picture I attached the red lines represent the ONLY thing I replaced during the entire process. That was only due to the sharp threads inside the ram chewing up the O-ring slightly. I didn't want to chance a leak there after putting it back together.

seals.jpg

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have only had one that would not go back in sometime. I took it apart and put new seals in it but never tested it. I now have one that once or twice in a snowstorm will not hold when back dragging. I think I will open it up and clean it out. I paid $290 for the one I bought. It was during a snowstorm so I did not shop around.
    Just looked on ebay #199+24 Shipping Or best Offer.

7. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Yeah that is how this one was acting. Would sometimes lock and sometimes not. Then one day just stopped locking all together. Pushing worked fine but it would not lock back dragging. I bought this plow used and I can tell someone was not very careful changing hoses when they blew or broke them. There should not have been that much debris in there. I had more debris in a glass jar that I didn't show in my pictures.

Yep, you found the Ebay ad. I tried to get it for $150 with offer but they came back at $189.00.

8. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

For those of you following this thread, the cylinder I tore apart and cleaned worked perfectly plowing tonight. Back dragged like a champ. Just as good measure I am going to tear them both back down this summer and flush my entire hydraulics. If that 1 cylinder had so many particulates in it i'm sure the other one does to.

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds Good, I am going to try the one I took off.